Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwhoaaa...slow down.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25485&mesg_id=25512
25512, whoaaa...slow down.
Posted by suave_bro, Wed Mar-23-05 01:31 PM
>Yeah, Mr. Kim is MAD DEEP. (btw, he isn't my "manager"...he
>is the owner of a multi-million dollar corporation) The thing
>about it is he will tell you point blank that the success of
>Asian people as a collective is BECAUSE they love their
>culture, BECAUSE they want to honor the struggles of their
>ancestors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but not only do Black
>Conservatives not really show an interest in Afrocentricity,
>THEY DIS IT either overtly or subtly...

- pump your brakes man. you jumped from your boss living his culture and his history, then you said "afrocentricity". most black conservatives argue (and i agree) that the bulk of their political/social beliefs come from our great grandparents (blacks who paved the way for us now)...you already know that black folks in america up until the 60's took pride in the family, the church, education, moral values, and had a very strong work ethic. yes, we are descendents from africa, that is where our ancestory lays. but no matter how hard you close your eyes and struggle and fight to get there, our asses are here in america. and we DO HAVE a legacy and history here in AMERICA and appreciating that does not mean you hate your blackness or hate the fact that you are from africa. and if that makes you a "sellout" or "hate yourself" then i'd argue that most black people are sellouts then because your average black person does NOT embrace afrocentrism.

the reason why I asked you if u knew any black conservatives is because my ex's father is as black and republican as it gets. yet when u walk into their house there was no question that a BLACK FAMILY lived there. there were african paintings and statues in the living room. a huge map of africa down in the basement. this is why I say get the "black republican=hates blackness" out of your mind.

>and I certainly don't
>hold Black Conservtives to a "higher standard",(despite the
>fact that I view some of them as pretty sharp) why would I
>think a IDIOTS like Jesse Lee Peterson or Ken Hamblin is a
>grade above ANYBODY? They are 10 times worse than Jesse
>Jackson or Al Sharpton...

- well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. what im saying is that black folks ON AVERAGE dont embrace the things that you are wanting black conservatives to embrace.

>Those FUBU cats don't even own FUBU, they sold it to a
>consortium of Japanese businessmen years ago. Oprah has spent
>a TON of $$$ on schools in Africa, Russell Simmons is actively
>involved in the community, and I'm pretty sure Bob Johnson is
>too...but I don't see them creating any "synergy" that would
>allow Black people to make power moves COLLECTIVELY. And this
>is the point of the whole post and Mr. Kim's "lecture". By
>the way, in my humble opinion, the problems continental
>Africans are facing and the problems we are facing in the
>diaspora are symptoms of the same "infection"...but that is a
>whole 'nother plate of potatoes...

- well one thing I can say about your boss in regards to his love for his people and his desire to network and build, is that he isn't wearing this as a badge of honor. I doubt your boss is going around bragging on what he is doing to everybody he runs into. when black folks do stuff like this we tend to want the world to know what we are doing and we tend to want Kudos from everybody as well...I would argue that there are black conservatives who are like this (and again, u cant network with the "un-networkable" like i said in my response below) like my ex's father. no he didnt go around shouting down at white people, he wasn't doing a tu-tu dance in a daishiki every morning, he isn't wearing red black and green everyday but in his heart and mind, his culture and love for his race was there. and in actuality, running around shouting "IM BLACK AND DONT FORGET IT!! IM GONNA BUILD WITH BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK", actually HURTS negroes out here. there is a time and place for everything. if we are gonna network and build, lets do it without fireworks and drawing attention to ourselves all the time...