Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe big payback
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25430
25430, the big payback
Posted by qoolquest, Wed May-17-00 12:50 PM
it was around 5am when i awoke to cnn's report on the US donating funds (reparations) to some country. (too groggy to remember) but here is the deal.

the US is willing to payback all victims of war/prison in other countries. except our own (they refuse to acknowledge slavery). so what i want to know is. what is the appropriate payback? cash? tax breaks? 40 acres and a mule? free crib and a 5.0?

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

MAY= OFFENSIVE QUOTE MONTH

"FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
"GET OFF MY DICK NIGGA, AND TELL YO BITCH TO COME HERE!"
-ice cube

"what do you get with fruity mentos? you get a phone number and a light skinned ho....lemme tell you bout redbone she give a good blow...."
-baatin, slum village
25431, there's so much to ask for
Posted by Zesi, Wed May-17-00 01:05 PM
I don't think anything would be truly sufficient. The damage has been done too well.

Any money the government can pay won't solve it. Maybe a true interest in the welfare of black people by the government might help. For one thing, it could stop its discriminatory practices. They could at least fund more programs that would help black people out.

But how can you undo the psychological damage made? There's nothing the government can really do about that. Changing mentalities.

http://www.funkknots.com look at the wonderful art! No it ain't mine! Just go there!Support your fellow player, ffunkknots.:)

"Let them have their toy, we've got books."
Bill Cosby's response to Tavis Smiley of "BET Tonight "regarding the lack of minorities on television."

"Multiculturalism is a white people joke. Black people have always been here as different. People need to stop saying that there is one way to be--and then the issue will disappear." Ntozake Shange-interview in _Mother_ _Jones_

25432, there is no payback...
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 01:15 PM
payback?
reperations for a continuous carnage sparked over 500 years ago?
what the fuck is payback?
the amerikan goverment won't officialy recognize slavery due to the fact that it still exists; the paradox of schools & jails that's happening right now is very real and not very much of a mistake.
amerika's not gonna pay anyone.
they still want to get rid of us... whether it's more black men in jail than on the street in d.c. or the nuclear waste being dumped on indian reservations in yucca mountain, amerika hasn't stopped trying to rid us from the face of the planet.
fuck a payback.
payback???
what the hell?
walking up to the 4 pigs that killed Amadou Diallo and expecting an apology?
Mumia expecting to be let go from the grips of death row by amerika simply cause him being put there isn't right?
let Assata come home free of all charges so she could be with her daughter and she's innocent?

people that hate you aren't gonna do what's right. why haven't we figured that shit out yet?

fuck a payback.

mobilize while you still can cause amerika's agenda to wipe out all minoritys living within it's borders is very far from a fucking secret.

(no disrespect intended towards ?uestlove nor anyone else who deserves reperations. if i sound angry it's cause i don't want you asking the snake who bit you for an apology, it's just gonna bite you again)

Gabriel Teodros (the hope)
eyecsound@aol.com

500 YEARS: independent art * freedom of mind * self-determination * power
"INDELIBLE REVOLUTION"
http://www.500years.com

The Poetry Experience.
meets every 1st & 3rd Monday @ the Langston Hughes Cultural Arts Center from 7-9p.m.
(17th & Yesler, in Seattle's Central district)
http://my.treeway.com/webepoetz

Red Eye Magazine:
http://www.redeyemagazine.com

URBAN ARTS COLLECTIVE

"support independent art!"
25433, RE: there is no payback...
Posted by odu, Wed May-17-00 01:54 PM
>i don't want you asking the snake who bit you for an apology, it's just gonna bite you again

This is exactly my problem with the reparations issue, and other ancillary problems like affirmative action, the welfare system and so on. Some sort of African-American community package like low- or no-interest loans/grants for charter schools, neighbourhood entrepreneurship, arts funding, low-income mortgages and so on would be great. But you can't trust a centralized government to do the right thing. Centralized government in this country represents the will of the controlling elite--the Giulianis and Safirs in NYC who don't have a problem with innocent Black folks being killed by 5-0. The alcohol, tobacco and firearms lobby that disproportionately favour communities of colour with their attention. The majority party of this government comprises dudes like Bob Barr who belong to well-known white supremacist organizations, and have refused to repudiate their ties. What they gonna do for you? Let's not forget that it was Nixonian Republicanism that instituted affirmative action in the '70s, and it's being taken away under the watch of a Clinton-led Democratic White House. What does that tell you? Two sides of the same flipping coin, bruh. Long as you do your bit to perpetuate wage slavery and ever-escalating corporate profits, they got no beef and no interest in you and your's. Not even a symbolic one. Investment in inner-city communities means setting up Old Navy and Starbucks in Harlem so that the private sector can make a killing through crazy tax breaks, while they hire another crop of young Black and brown bodies at minimum wage to count the dollars. The government officials get hit off lovely come election time, and the incestous cycle starts anew.

"I got a letter from the government the other day/
I opened and read it/
It said they were suckers/
...Here is a land that never gave a damn/
about a brother like me and myself/"

I luh the Tricky re-make.

I know y'all heard the rhetoric of revolution before (and Lord knows I ain't a revolutionary, 'cause I suckle at the corporate teat jes like everybody else), but asking the government to do for us is like tolerating slangers on your corner just 'cause they'll hand out turkeys at Christmas.

25434, RE: there is no payback...
Posted by nappiness, Wed May-17-00 06:21 PM
Check out the "Affirmative Action-white Women's haven" post.

Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness
25435, Then I ask....
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 06:33 AM
Do you think African-American should totally forget what has went on since the first African was taken from his home to this very day where the after effects are still suffocating our people or do you think Afro-Americans should pick up and all move back to Africa?

Yes I was being sarcastic with the first question and although the second one seems ideal in theory it's not gonna happen. So, as a people, what do we do? We infiltrate, we make them recognize that's what we do. We should create that bloc vote that Malcolm X was stressing so many years ago and take our twenty-five million plus votes and become a force to be reconed with and listened to and taken seriously. We should create our own businesses and our own agendas as the Jews (maybe I should say Hebrews) do. If we're not part of the solution then we're part of the problem. Just saying fuck America ain't cuttin it no matter how realistic the thought is in many of our minds.

Don't think I don't understand where your coming from either, I just don't beleive letting America "make it" without some form of repercussions is the way. I think that it only lets the flood gate open (as it is) for more ish to happen.

**All complaints regarding SBU should be directed to me!
I am the Public Relations Director Bitch!

******Sexy Bitches United******
Damali - CBO (Chief Bitch Officer)
sonyasimone - President Bitch
Dove- Bitch Counsel Director
strezzed - Head of Bitch Treasury
serena_love - Executive Bitch President
gemini - Director of Bitch Arts & Culture
Inez: Executive Director of Bitch Development
K_A_Wright - Defense Department Bitch
Mahogany Brown - Public Relations Director Bitch
25436, RE: Then I ask....
Posted by odu, Sun May-21-00 10:28 AM
>Do you think African-American should totally
>forget what has went on
>since the first African was
>taken from his home to
>this very day where the
>after effects are still suffocating
>our people or do you
>think Afro-Americans should pick up
>and all move back to
>Africa?

I don't think that's a bad idea, but I don't think it's a very likely one either.

So, as a
>people, what do we do?

We are one people, but we're also many individuals. It's unrealistic to think that you or I could figure out a solution that universally applicable. I sincerely doubt that you could get just your own immediate family to follow your directions. Everybody has their own desires and needs.

> We infiltrate, we make
>them recognize that's what we
>do. We should create
>that bloc vote that Malcolm
>X was stressing so many
>years ago and take our
>twenty-five million plus votes and
>become a force to be
>reconed with and listened to
>and taken seriously.

I think there are about 35 million African-Americans in this country. At least 20 % of them pretty much oppose you outright (as they are either conservatives, who just want a place in the system, or radicals, who want to destroy the system). The remaining 80% are split up along those all-important "personal preference" lines I alluded to earlier. Those who choose to infilitrate usually find that they like the other side a hell of a lot. That's why spies defect and Black folks who start making a lot of money begin to vote Republican. Infiltration also means co-option.

We
>should create our own businesses
>and our own agendas as
>the Jews (maybe I should
>say Hebrews) do.
>If we're not part of
>the solution then we're part
>of the problem. Just
>saying fuck America ain't cuttin
>it no matter how realistic
>the thought is in many
>of our minds.

Maybe not for you, but it is for me. I'm not an American, so I'm sure we have different views on this. I'm just trying to make some money, get a decent education and be out.

>Don't think I don't understand where
>your coming from either, I
>just don't beleive letting America
>"make it" without some form
>of repercussions is the
>way. I think that
>it only lets the flood
>gate open (as it is)
>for more ish to happen.

I understand where you're coming from too. My issue with the reparations (or any form of payback) is that it puts our people in the position of being more dependant than they already are. Relying on a government (and a class of people) that has proven itself repeatedly to be treacherous is, IMO, slitting your own throat i.e. affirmative action). That's why I like all programs that decentralize power: charter schools, lower taxation, even states rights and jury nullification. You shouldn't be waiting for a cabal of white supremacists and their associates to give you anything, 'cause you'll be waiting a long-ass time.
25437, RE: there is no payback...
Posted by qoolquest, Wed May-17-00 04:19 PM
i feel you bruh.

THE SOULQUARIANS
chewy (quest).....jan
luke (d)........feb
lando (jaydee)......feb
cp30 (james poyser).....jan
r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
hans (chaos)........jan
anakin (lil mike)......feb

honorary members:
kelo- soulacorn.......jan
common- soulcies......march
erykah- soulcies......feb
zack- soulicorn.......feb
anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan

"FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
"GET OFF MY DICK NIGGA, AND TELL YO BITCH TO COME HERE!"
-ice cube

"what do you get with fruity mentos? you get a phone number and a light skinned ho....lemme tell you bout redbone she give a good blow...."
-baatin, slum village
25438, PAYBACK????
Posted by nick, Wed May-17-00 01:41 PM
This is an interesting question because recently i have been putting deep thought into this country and the way it was founded, this is due to my US History class this year at college and multiple discussions with friends and family about the issue.

MANIFEST DESTINY is the biggest reason i believe that America is in such a sad state. This elitist view led us to believe that the white european was better than other races. America was built upon treachery of other races from Indians to African Americans. We all know about slavery and other ways that the leaders of America has wrongly opressed others to build the country. Sadly, even though our leaders FINALLY recognized that African Americans deserved equal rights and were equal people, racism is still alive today.

It is a serious problem that America's government even today is too corrupt and ignorant to recognize the problems posed, including the one questlove posed.

NO Payback would ever be enough to pay back African Americans who were slaves and families of slaves. The damage is done.

The way America was built makes me sick when i really think about it and i finally realized this year that America is not the land of the free and the home of the brave, it is a country that i am often ashamed to call my home. I could talk about this forever (Manifest Destiny and the way America was built was the main topic of my American History class and Fordham this spring and it really opened up to the real history of our country) but i'll stop now. Peace to all.
25439, You wanna lexus or justice????
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 02:09 PM
at first i was like, "i dont give a damn about a tax break." but then i thought about the clergy and was like,"ummmm."

then the 5.0 and, what was it? lojack attached. who the hell wants that? when you roll it off the lot it depreciates by 28%

now the 40 acres and a mule. i could live with 40 acres. you could do a lot with 40 acres. it property it has value.

but then maybe cash reparations--plus interest--no doubt, would be the best for everyone who has american ancestors. sheet. the japanese got cash reparations for being in interment camps as soon as hiroshima was bombed. you know, thats some deep shit. they done gave money to every racial and ethnic group, cept people of african descent. what message are they trying to send to us? (rhetorical question). but id definitely go with the reparations--adjusted to reflect the inflation rate today--plus the interest since day ONE that shit began--like in the 1600. they dont want that. then black folk would be millionares and then perhaps then WED be in a position to be racists--given that fact that one needs a substantial amt. of financial resources (amongst other things) in order to be deemed a true racist.

25440, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 05:59 PM
sorry, did not mean to do that. okay, its funny how much we want some big payback ish, but the bottom line is that we do not even respect our selves enough for anyone to take us serious, really.... i mean, we can not even committe to ourselves, listen to ourselves, marry our own, buy our own product, etc. so, you wanna talk about payback! sorry love, i dig you and all but "our country?!!!" America never belonged to "black(african) people" nor does the land belong to caucasians who till today refuse to identify themselves otherwise. i mean i don't see caucasians as "white people"(shit, michael jacson is white) cuz for real lets look at the meaning, what "whiteness" as become, superoity. it actually blow's some people's mind when they say "i am white" and i turn around and say "where are your people from?" let talk, if you can actually tell me that ish... if not you are not better than dem KKK's. As far as Africans in american, not being able to say a particular place in the continent as a place of orgin, that's understandable, but as long as you keep thinking that this land belong to you, american gov't will give you nothing but DEAD!!!!, parent's diggin their children's graves. in the school of thought that i come from Africans in america is yet nothing but another ethnic group(earthly group) like Ibo's are another ethnic group of Nigeria.
so, let first take that our country ish our of our minds, then maybe we can build a foundation where an outsider will take you seriou and respect you. lets build

"i wanna take you to africa and wash your hair in the rivers of my childhood" me...Copyright 2000
25441, RE: the big payback
Posted by nappiness, Wed May-17-00 06:27 PM
i won't speak for the masses in this response. but i do love, respect, cherish myself with all of my attributes and faults. Reparations, I am down for it and what I would like to see is my credit slate wiped clean. I personally think every Black person should get a free ride to college including housing, books, and a monthly stipend for personal needs. I haven't thought of a plan b. for those who don't have fucked up credit or don't want to attend college but we should have options. Vista-Americorp participants even got choices, we ain't got ish.

Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness
25442, Payback??
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 06:06 PM
ASK James Byrd's Family, Rosewood and Tulsa survivors, Emmitt Till's mother....get my drift.
The list will go on forever. THEY (our government) can't replace the lives taken out of hatred.
25443, RE: Payback??
Posted by Vena, Thu May-18-00 04:07 AM
These mofucs owe us everything. I watched a report last night about the Klan...that shit pissed me off. They take our land, money, opportunities, wife and children and expect us to look at things as being the "past". The hell with that. They still hatin on us to this very day. They put everybody and everything before us!. They let the police take our lives... they don't give a shit... Pay another country before the'll think twice about our asses... YET WE BUILT THIS MOTHER.

Jus thought I'd vent for a minute.
25444, Am I wrong or just upset?
Posted by guest, Thu May-18-00 07:00 AM
How can we, as a people, worry about reparations being given to another country or people when America has yet to deal with it's past atrocities of slavery. America is ready & willing to deal with all problems but their own. I've been following the Taliban regime in Aphganistan. I get petitions to sign, emails to enlighten and all kind of info on this horrific regime. These people are oppressing the female masses. They can't work or go to school, they must be covered head to feet, they aren't even allowed in public without a male partner. These women are stoned and beat to death daily for simply showing an inch of skin or talking out of turn. My point is America has a plight now to save the women of the Taliban movement (occupied since 1996) but I hold myself back because I keep thinking "What about the plight of African Americans that white America ignores?" Am I being selfish. Am I wrong for thinking of the horrors that my people experienced. I felt the same way when America intervined and went to Kosovo. I beleive no one should be treated inhumane but civil wars have been going on in parts of Africa for centuries and America doesn't rush to their aid so excuse me if I don't cry out "O Lord, bless the Serbs" and send in a big hearty check for the cause. White America always have relayed the message that "white' lives are more important than "african" lives. The same with the whole Elian Gonzalez case. Haitian immigrants are sent back daily, kids and all but once again America says wait, Elian is different. He might need to stay. Sure they say he's a political refugee but come on! he's a kid not a priest or politician. I'm sorry but before America deals with the worlds problems how bout they face up to the ones in there very own backyard. Maybe then I can feel more attuned to their plights of human rights elsewhere.

25445, RE: Am I wrong or just upset?
Posted by guest, Thu May-18-00 11:10 AM
>How can we, as a people,
>worry about reparations being given
>to another country or people
>when America has yet to
>deal with it's past atrocities
>of slavery. America is
>ready & willing to deal
>with all problems but their
>own. I've been following
>the Taliban regime in Aphganistan.
> I get petitions to
>sign, emails to enlighten and
>all kind of info on
>this horrific regime. These
>people are oppressing the female
>masses. They can't work or
>go to school, they must
>be covered head to feet,
>they aren't even allowed in
>public without a male partner.
> These women are stoned
>and beat to death daily
>for simply showing an inch
>of skin or talking out
>of turn. My point
>is America has a plight
>now to save the women
>of the Taliban movement (occupied
>since 1996) but I hold
>myself back because I keep
>thinking "What about the plight
>of African Americans that white
>America ignores?" Am I
>being selfish. Am I
>wrong for thinking of the
>horrors that my people experienced.
> I felt the same
>way when America intervined and
>went to Kosovo. I
>beleive no one should be
>treated inhumane but civil wars
>have been going on in
>parts of Africa for centuries
>and America doesn't rush to
>their aid so excuse me
>if I don't cry out
>"O Lord, bless the Serbs"
>and send in a big
>hearty check for the cause.
> White America always have
>relayed the message that "white'
>lives are more important than
>"african" lives. The same
>with the whole Elian Gonzalez
>case. Haitian immigrants are
>sent back daily, kids and
>all but once again America
>says wait, Elian is different.
> He might need to
>stay. Sure they say
>he's a political refugee but
>come on! he's a kid
>not a priest or politician.
> I'm sorry but before
>America deals with the worlds
>problems how bout they face
>up to the ones in
>there very own backyard.
>Maybe then I can feel
>more attuned to their plights
>of human rights elsewhere.
>
>**All complaints regarding SBU should be
>directed to me!
>I am the Public Relations Director
>Bitch!
>
>******Sexy Bitches United******
>Damali - CBO (Chief Bitch Officer)
>
>sonyasimone - President Bitch
>Dove- Bitch Counsel Director
>strezzed - Head of Bitch Treasury
>
>serena_love - Executive Bitch President
>gemini - Director of Bitch Arts
>& Culture
>Inez: Executive Director of Bitch Development
>
>K_A_Wright - Defense Department Bitch
>Mahogany Brown - Public Relations Director
>Bitch

**True, It's kinda like the police officer who works diligently to protect and serve the public, but then goes home and beats or negleact the family.

25446, RE: Am I wrong or just upset?
Posted by Gloworm, Fri May-19-00 05:13 AM
say word!!
i like that.

if we were to get reparations...would that make the social climate for minorities better? does money change the way white corporate america sees me?

"Here's another speech you wish I'd swallow. Another cue for you to hold your ears. Another train of thought too hard to follow." - Fiona Apple

"I'm going to save R&B" - Sisqo

"Questioning why you should listen to my words, the way I say them, my flow.
Ignoring the fact that my spoken word will make your mind glow." - jose3030

25447, You asked.... and my answer is....
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 06:01 AM

>if we were to get reparations...would
>that make the social climate
>for minorities better? does
>money change the way white
>corporate america sees me?

Maybe not initially. I think if the American government should one day give reparations to descendants of slaves white America will be either outraged (at the direct omittance), embarassed (by the acts of the forefathers), or releived. This is but a beginning to the healing process. When you were a kid and had a fight with your next door neighboor, ish wasn't right until your parents made yall apologize to each other. The moment that apology was said things turned to exactly as they were before the fight erupted. Of course this is just an analogy and no words of sympathy or government check will magically make the problems between whites and Afro-Americans dissapear. It would merely be a starting point.

As for as corporate America - that's a whole nother story completely. I think until African-Americans take hold and build our own businesses on a grand scale, corporate America will not change it's practices and definitely not it's views. Corporate America will have to see some way for these same black business to benefit them before change will be implemented and by that time black America will won't nothing to do with them.

25448, first of all...........
Posted by gemini, Thu May-18-00 10:11 AM
if they can give reparations to everybody and his MAMA.......why in the HELL do black folks pay taxes?

I think we need to get one big blank effin' check. But knowing black folks, we'd kill each other (literally) trying to figure out how to disseminate said funds. Then we'd waste all the money on designer clothes and cars.......

But seriously, fuck a check, just absolve black people from paying taxes and i'll be happy.

Oh, and uh, I wouldn't turn down that 40 acres, OR that mule, fuh real..........

"Y'all don't believe fat meat greasy!!"-my mama
25449, Should we get something?....
Posted by guest, Thu May-18-00 11:03 AM
If they are giving shit away, we it true that we should be the first to get it. But I'm not sure if we actually need anything else from them. Seems like everything they "give" to us, fucks us up more. Besides by them giving something to us, it automatically puts us into a "needy/helpless" category.

"Lets get free"-Dead Prez
25450, RE: Should we get something?....
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 06:17 AM
>If they are giving shit away,
>we it true that we
>should be the first to
>get it. But I'm
>not sure if we actually
>need anything else from them.
> Seems like everything they
>"give" to us, fucks us
>up more. Besides by them
>giving something to us, it
>automatically puts us into a
>"needy/helpless" category.

Needy and helpless my ass. White America hasn't given us anything. They think if they throw a couple of bones, like welfare and quotas, our way that we'll shut up for a few more years. Did you know that as a foreigner you can apply for grants (money you don't have to pay back) to start businesses but yet we have to give both our legs and a lung to get a high ass intrest loan from a bank. Why don't they try paying us back for four hundred years of lives, sweat, and the building of America. How bout those tax breaks someone was talking about or Free college educations for our children, hell why don't they try giving that 40 acres and mule they've been promising for upteen years. The things they call help to our faces are actually meant to keep us at bay. They are not meant for our people to progress and become independent as a race. They are designed to keep us DEPENDENT upon them. No, i don't want a new car or a promise to "make everything better". I want plain old justice. Fuck a free convertable give me liberty or give me death!

All complaints regarding SBU should be directed to me!

25451, RE: Should we get something?....
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 12:00 PM
>>If they are giving shit away,
>>we it true that we
>>should be the first to
>>get it. But I'm
>>not sure if we actually
>>need anything else from them.
>> Seems like everything they
>>"give" to us, fucks us
>>up more. Besides by them
>>giving something to us, it
>>automatically puts us into a
>>"needy/helpless" category.
>
>Needy and helpless my ass.
>White America hasn't given us
>anything. They think if
>they throw a couple of
>bones, like welfare and quotas,
>our way that we'll shut
>up for a few more
>years. Did you know
>that as a foreigner you
>can apply for grants (money
>you don't have to pay
>back) to start businesses but
>yet we have to give
>both our legs and a
>lung to get a high
>ass intrest loan from a
>bank. Why don't they
>try paying us back for
>four hundred years of lives,
>sweat, and the building of
>America. How bout those
>tax breaks someone was talking
>about or Free college educations
>for our children, hell why
>don't they try giving that
>40 acres and mule they've
>been promising for upteen years.
> The things they call
>help to our faces are
>actually meant to keep us
>at bay. They are
>not meant for our people
>to progress and become independent
>as a race. They
>are designed to keep us
>DEPENDENT upon them. No,
>i don't want a new
>car or a promise to
>"make everything better". I
>want plain old justice.
>Fuck a free convertable give
>me liberty or give me
>death!
>
>
>All complaints regarding SBU should be
>directed to me!
>I am the Public Relations Director
>Bitch!
>
>******Sexy Bitches United******
>Damali - CBO (Chief Bitch Officer)
>
>sonyasimone - President Bitch
>Dove- Bitch Counsel Director
>strezzed - Head of Bitch Treasury
>
>serena_love - Executive Bitch President
>gemini - Director of Bitch Arts
>& Culture
>Inez: Executive Director of Bitch Development
>
>K_A_Wright - Defense Department Bitch
>Mahogany Brown - Public Relations Director
>Bitch

My Sentiments Exactly....we Allow them to pacify us with meaningless bullshit.

25452, RE: the big payback
Posted by SankofaII, Thu May-18-00 12:08 PM
Future Filmmaker Over Here

honestly, all of those things could (in a strictly monetary superficial sense) be some form of reparations for slavery. but....then again, that will NEVER make up for the 400+ years of white folks enslaving my ancestors (African and Native) allin the name of..."life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

and, even if they were to give some form of reparations, i wouldn't accept it. it would be a surefire slap in the face...period.

ryan
25453, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 11:10 PM
I am from Aotearoa/ New Zealand (close to Australia -for those who are unaware), and a very similar 'big payback' situation is already underway. Maori peole are the indigenous people of Aotearoa; the population is about 3.5 million, and we make up 15% of the population.

To sum it up-we got skrewed; we lost our land base, aspects of our culture and language, many of our people were killed... Many Maori including myself can relate to the experience of Africans in the USA, due to the fact that we got skrewed in a similar manner.That is one reason why Maori dig hip hop... we have on own hip hop thang going on down here too. Cats are breakdancing all over the place... im straying from my point a little though.

At the moment we make up the wack socio-economic statistics... the poorest/ highest improsonment rate/ disproportionate university populations- the list goes on for most indicators. The educational, economic and social achievement gap between Maori and non-Maori is widening. Maori people are disadvantaged in virtually every area of economic development.

During the last 15 years in New Zealand, due to increasing Maori political activism, and the government seeking to contain this potential threat (and other issues that I am not fully aware of), the government has undertaken policies that attempt to make redress for the past injustices the state had historically imposed on us.

What I can say from our experience, is that there are heaps of problems that spring up when the government attempts to make monetary redress for the past.

Money has been devolved through a tribal system- tribes (or 'iwi')to this day link with their homelands... therefore the rationale has been to give the money one tribe in a particular area. This is problematic as wothin that one area there are many Maori who do not descend from the endowed iwi; so they miss out.

This also has the effect of creating division amongst Maori people; different tribes are competing with eachother for the money. (Many people see the whole New Zealand big payback as a scheme to create division amongst us; when previously we were united).

Problems have also occurred where money has been devolved to particular members of iwi who have squandered the wealth on dumbass investments. Before the rest see any benefit.

It also dreates a whole big dependancy syndrome; Tribes get caught up in competing with one another, and become dependant on the redressal handouts for their solution.

But there are others with insight, and a movement toward sovereignty or Maori independance continues. We call it 'Tino Rangatiratanga'.

There are two main points I wish to make- things I have learned from our experience; (I am not full of solutions at the moment but I am trying to come up with some)...1 One is that there should be appropriate structures in place before the process begins; that will safe gaurd against Babylonians getting the money and buying themselves cars and houses while their people continue to suffer.

2 The money should be put into something that creates LONG TERM benefits for the people. Giving each African American or Maori person 200$ will not do much to advance our overall causes. Investing in education programmes and stuff to that effect would be a wiser investment.

THink long term benfits and structures...

Also, in my opinion, regardless of thre fact that monetary payment can never fully compensate for the historic and continual suffering that Africans have suffered at the hands of the USA Babylon system, I believe that certain movements toward the overall goal of justice and equality, whether through some form of recompensation, or another method (perhaps a revolution) is a step in the right direction- so support it.

I gotta stop typing- I have to finish my essay before Monday. THe essay happens to be on this same topic- I shall return tomorrow.

"Im the monster coming in closer
I'll roast ya
Not never worry bout competition
Listen
I can twist men into pretzels"- Del (this sounds kinda wack to me actually. I need a new sig)

"Life is F@#KED up" -Aceyalone

25454, The New Zealand Situation
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 11:13 PM
I am from Aotearoa/ New Zealand (close to Australia -for those who are unaware), and a very similar 'big payback' situation is already underway. Maori peole are the indigenous people of Aotearoa; the population is about 3.5 million, and we make up 15% of the population.

To sum it up-we got skrewed; we lost our land base, aspects of our culture and language, many of our people were killed... Many Maori including myself can relate to the experience of Africans in the USA, due to the fact that we got skrewed in a similar manner.That is one reason why Maori dig hip hop... we have on own hip hop thang going on down here too. Cats are breakdancing all over the place... im straying from my point a little though.

At the moment we make up the wack socio-economic statistics... the poorest/ highest improsonment rate/ disproportionate university populations- the list goes on for most indicators. The educational, economic and social achievement gap between Maori and non-Maori is widening. Maori people are disadvantaged in virtually every area of economic development.

During the last 15 years in New Zealand, due to increasing Maori political activism, and the government seeking to contain this potential threat (and other issues that I am not fully aware of), the government has undertaken policies that attempt to make redress for the past injustices the state had historically imposed on us.

What I can say from our experience, is that there are heaps of problems that spring up when the government attempts to make monetary redress for the past.

Money has been devolved through a tribal system- tribes (or 'iwi')to this day link with their homelands... therefore the rationale has been to give the money one tribe in a particular area. This is problematic as wothin that one area there are many Maori who do not descend from the endowed iwi; so they miss out.

This also has the effect of creating division amongst Maori people; different tribes are competing with eachother for the money. (Many people see the whole New Zealand big payback as a scheme to create division amongst us; when previously we were united).

Problems have also occurred where money has been devolved to particular members of iwi who have squandered the wealth on dumbass investments. Before the rest see any benefit.

It also dreates a whole big dependancy syndrome; Tribes get caught up in competing with one another, and become dependant on the redressal handouts for their solution.

But there are others with insight, and a movement toward sovereignty or Maori independance continues. We call it 'Tino Rangatiratanga'.

There are two main points I wish to make- things I have learned from our experience; (I am not full of solutions at the moment but I am trying to come up with some)...1 One is that there should be appropriate structures in place before the process begins; that will safe gaurd against Babylonians getting the money and buying themselves cars and houses while their people continue to suffer.

2 The money should be put into something that creates LONG TERM benefits for the people. Giving each African American or Maori person 200$ will not do much to advance our overall causes. Investing in education programmes and stuff to that effect would be a wiser investment.

THink long term benfits and structures...

Also, in my opinion, regardless of thre fact that monetary payment can never fully compensate for the historic and continual suffering that Africans have suffered at the hands of the USA Babylon system, I believe that certain movements toward the overall goal of justice and equality, whether through some form of recompensation, or another method (perhaps a revolution) is a step in the right direction- so support it.

I gotta stop typing- I have to finish my essay before Monday. THe essay happens to be on this same topic- I shall return tomorrow.

"Im the monster coming in closer
I'll roast ya
Not never worry bout competition
Listen
I can twist men into pretzels"- Del (this sounds kinda wack to me actually. I need a new sig)

"Life is F@#KED up" -Aceyalone

25455, Give us Sovereignty
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Thu May-18-00 12:10 PM
our own seperate status in America. Just like Oklahoma was specifically for the Indians, there need to be a state (preferably on the West Coast) that need to be for us. White folks can still go slummin' to New Africa, but they need a visa to come in. We'd have the same currency, but a different government.

I know that the Moor Shrine cats got some such shit, but I'm not sure on the specs.

"When you close your eyes, and screw your face" Mos Def

"Damn, I'm sweating like a nigga in a white woman funeral" Lynch Mobb
25456, YEAH!
Posted by beautifulpeace, Fri May-19-00 09:40 AM
You know what? At first I was gonna say that appropriate payback for all those years of slavery and oppression would just be acknowledgement. I figured just the fact that white people ackowledge and take responsibility publicly would at least be a step in the right direction. But then I started to think- all white people wouldn't go for that. They would say that its not their fault, but their ancestors. I don't even think a lot of blacks would go for that. Some might be self righteous and say we need don't that shit because then we wouldn't have anyone to hold a grudge against. So maybe we should be given our own territory and for once have a sense of ownership of something (of anything!). Then hopefully we can begin to deal with the ignorance in our culture and start to rebuild.
25457, RE: Give us Sovereignty
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 06:09 PM
Damn, isn't that what America said for the Indians. Just give them their own land so that they can do their own thing and stay away from us. If blacks were suddenly thrown into their "own" territory, it would be just like that, with millinos of blacks being cramped onto this worst land available. Also remind me of the "homelands" concept in South Africa. Do you really think they would let you have California? For that matter, Latinos are fast becoming the majority in California, and they'd probably disagree too.

Yeah I'm white (I could list my nationalities but it would take a long time) btw. And I find it sad to think that the only way we can get along is to get the hell away from each other. But what would I know, I live in a dorm with all whites and Asians. Looking around me, it seems like college tuitions for black would be a good form of reparations. That and some actual funds for inner-city schools instead of pouring more and more money in to the while middle-class school I went to (not like we used it well anyway). Sorry, I'm probably too naive to even post on this, but that's my two bits.

C. Walker, aka The Matrix, master of the hmtl insult and the cheapshot, okayplayer newbie, IM at skyWalker900. Peace!

25458, RE: Give us California!!!
Posted by AbdulJaleel, Mon May-22-00 06:25 AM
and not the desert part. How's that?

"When you close your eyes, and screw your face" Mos Def

"Damn, I'm sweating like a nigga in a white woman funeral" Lynch Mobb
25459, RE: Give us California!!!
Posted by Shaun_G, Mon May-22-00 07:16 AM
How convenient, give us the one state that's going to break off of the rest of the US and sink when the big earthquake comes. :)

I know this is going to come off as incredibly cynical, but if we can't get together as a people now, what makes people think that if we had our own "country" in/near the US, we would be better off?

Shaun G.
25460, RE: Give us California!!!
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 12:12 PM
Shaun G.'s an intelignet brotha.

25461, wont get one anyway n/m
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 09:35 AM
"Wassup you timer, when you gonna resign? open up a SoulFood Restaurant with yo momma's name and start yo own clothing line" E-40

"Im vicious, mean muggin foolz like da grench dat stole christmas" E-40
25462, I aint goin' no-where
Posted by guest, Fri May-19-00 02:47 PM
so the government might as well give people of african descent reparations. i completely disagree with the persons who say "lets go back "home" (where ever that is) and forget asking the government for anything." true, africans were forcibly removed from their continent--by white as well as black folk. however, africans and native americans built this country so why should they have romaniticized notions about going back to the "motherland" wet-dreaming about the prospectus of their lost "brothers and sisters" welcoming them back (home) with open arms. the fact remainst that africans dont even agree with "african americans" calling themselves that in the first place. my point is that i aint going no-where.

secondly, forget that argument about "reparations given to descendants of slaves being a hand-out, public assistance, or begging metality." thats the problem with us (as a race of people. when someone hurts us, we need to voice our hurt and demand an apology, at the very least. as malcolm x said (go read the book), he found a very good strategy for remaining the child (amongst many siblings) to get food whenever he was hungry/or wanted a need to be met: he voiced his need--sometimes in a very loud way. fuck that. we need to start demanding what we are owed. you dont want hand-outs?? what about your ancestors who were raped, beaten, bred like animals to toil on this land for centuries without pay??? are we so brainwashed to believed that all those centuries of hard work (that WAS DONE FOR FREE) does not earn the descendants of these hardworkers anything?? do we believe that after being forcibly brought here and enslaved and building this country that we are not worth receiving reparations?? reparations are NOT a hand outs!!!! reparations are not for "beggars." reparations are for people whose people were forced to work (without pay) for centuries.
as always.
peace.

25463, RE: I aint goin' no-where
Posted by odu, Sun May-21-00 10:39 AM
>so the government might as well
>give people of african descent
>reparations. i completely disagree
>with the persons who say
>"lets go back "home" (where
>ever that is) and forget
>asking the government for anything."
> true, africans were forcibly
>removed from their continent--by white
>as well as black folk.
> however, africans and native
>americans built this country so
>why should they have romaniticized
>notions about going back to
>the "motherland" wet-dreaming about the
>prospectus of their lost "brothers
>and sisters" welcoming them back
>(home) with open arms.
>the fact remainst that africans
>dont even agree with "african
>americans" calling themselves that in
>the first place. my
>point is that i aint
>going no-where.

You're welcome to stay. Just don't complain about the rules. You're wrong about Africans "not agreeing with African-Americans calling themselves that", so you should stop perpetuating the bullshit. There are Africans that don't like the term, just as there are African-Americans who don't use the term. Such is life. If you ever go to Ghana or Senegal during the festival seasons, though, you'll find thousands of people of African descent having a great time and being welcomed back "home" by their "brothers and sisters."

>secondly, forget that argument about "reparations
>given to descendants of slaves
>being a hand-out, public assistance,
>or begging metality." thats
>the problem with us (as
>a race of people.
>when someone hurts us, we
>need to voice our hurt
>and demand an apology, at
>the very least. as
>malcolm x said (go read
>the book), he found a
>very good strategy for remaining
>the child (amongst many siblings)
>to get food whenever he
>was hungry/or wanted a need
>to be met: he voiced
>his need--sometimes in a very
>loud way. fuck that.
> we need to start
>demanding what we are owed.
> you dont want hand-outs??
> what about your ancestors
>who were raped, beaten, bred
>like animals to toil on
>this land for centuries without
>pay??? are we so brainwashed
>to believed that all those
>centuries of hard work (that
>WAS DONE FOR FREE) does
>not earn the descendants of
>these hardworkers anything??

I gave an ideal proposition in my post--low/no interest loans for charter schools, small business enterpreneurship and neighbourhood redevelopment--but that's an ideal. The real is that it will create a situation of dependancy, no matter how good the intentions behind it were. The Maori brotha gave a good example of this, and you can even find it on some Native reservations right here in this country.

25464, RE: I aint goin' no-where
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 02:12 PM
first of all, why are you cursing at me/referring to what i said with a curse? i have no problems about expressing ones self passionately, but you have no right to curse at me and tell me to "stop perpetrating that bullshit." lets be honest about slavery and its by-products and the romanticized notions that many people of african descent have about going back to africa. you can not deny that there are some people who will not A)ever want to "go back" to africa
B)ever want to welcome people of african descent back to africa. but thats not what this thread is about.

what i just laid down was my opinions. part of the problem with people (like you) on these boards is that they dont know how to tactfully and respectfully disagree with someone. i read your "ideal" solution to this problem, and even though i may not agree with it, i would never take the tone that youve taken with me. who do you think you are? im trying so hard not to raise up on you, but im trying (very hard) not to disrespect you back--cause thats not what im about.

but what i will do is perpetuate the truth.
as always (as i try so hard to be),
peace.
maat.
25465, RE: I aint goin' no-where
Posted by odu, Tue May-23-00 12:50 PM
I'm sorry you took offense to the use of the term "bullshit" in reference to your opinion. There are continental Africans (I'm one of them) and Africans in the diaspora who shatter your notion that pan-Africanism is a romantic fantasy. Your view of the issue is one I'm privy to all too often, and it's usually perpetuated by people who have no first hand experience from which to speak. However, we're all entitled to our opinions, and I apologize if I somehow gave you the impression that you weren't entitled to yours.
25466, RE: I aint goin' no-where
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 02:26 PM
lets just leave it at "everyone is entitled to her opinions," and not you making assumptions that i have no first hand experience at the knowledge in which i hold regarding my views in pan-africanism. you, yourself, said that you are only here to get some money and some education, or something like that. my only point is that pan-africanism is not the "end all-be all" solution to the problems of black folk in the diaspora. intelligent people, like malcolm x, realized that engaging in a "panafricanist" view, often times leaves out people on the other continents of the world. bein a separtist aint cool--even when its black people who are doing the segregating.
as always,
peace.
25467, RE: I aint goin' no-where
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 02:27 PM
typo: seperatist
im also a perfectionist.
25468, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Sun May-21-00 08:15 AM
>Okay, im new to th site, but not reparations...
in the last 2 years some black farmers got reparations(shafted), from the gov. THEY STILL BROKE, if you read about it
theyre barely getting out of debt/bankruptcy.

im at Prairie View A&M (HBCU in Texas) fka damn Alto Vista Plantation working w/ NCOBRA -Nationa l Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America.
>
we talkin about folks whve been in this for years
(and years), RNA,BLA panther vets etc that started this particular NATIONAL org. right now the lawsuit is being filed, and six down payment demands have been drafted (including they payback to black farmers).

DOWN PAYMENT demands

1. immediate release of all political prisoners..Mumia, sis. Assata, Sundiata Alcolietc

2. $20,000 per family or modern day equivalent to 40 acres+mule

3.Release of americas prisoners of war-brothers locked up for years but haven't commited heinous crimes/community elected parole boards

4.ten one billion dollar campuses-for black educators/students

5. one billion dollar for Black Farmers

6. one billion dollars for Economic Development Fund

These are only DOWN PAYMENTS...
www.ncobra.com is the website okay??
>
>
>THE SOULQUARIANS
>chewy (quest).....jan
>luke (d)........feb
>lando (jaydee)......feb
>cp30 (james poyser).....jan
>r2d2 (jazzy jeff)......jan
>hans (chaos)........jan
>anakin (lil mike)......feb
>
>honorary members:
>kelo- soulacorn.......jan
>common- soulcies......march
>erykah- soulcies......feb
>zack- soulicorn.......feb
>anthony hamilton-soulquarian.jan
>
>
>MAY= OFFENSIVE QUOTE MONTH
>
>"FUCK ALL Y'ALL!"
>"GET OFF MY DICK NIGGA, AND
>TELL YO BITCH TO COME
>HERE!"
>-ice cube
>
>"what do you get with fruity
>mentos? you get a phone
>number and a light skinned
>ho....lemme tell you bout redbone
>she give a good blow...."
>
>-baatin, slum village

25469, RE: the big payback
Posted by tinyteanie, Sun May-21-00 11:24 AM
I'll tell you what they gave us after reading all these posts? A big ass mouth to fucking complain! WHAT THA FUCK Y'ALL!!! The fact that you all ahave freaking computers to type on is obviously some shit that changed! Hell, by saying nothing's been done you wipe out your own ancestors who fought a whole hell of a lot harder than we EVER have to be as far as we are now. BLACK FOLKS WHO FOUGHT TO BE AMERICAN!

You give black folks their own shit, I tell you what'll happen. First, they will over charge your ass talking about "black-owned brotha". Then they'll turn into the Compton Unidied School District, who makes sure to over crowd schools because of how much money you get per attendee, then mismanage the money so much that kids still have old ass books while the superintendants have dope Lexus' and bodyguards, and the football team gets new shit, all while cutting college prep programs.

Then you'll argue with them that the books are old and they'll tell you it's "the mans" fault. Fuck that! My grandparents have so much more heart than I do it's pathetic. Why? Because, although they actually lived through TRUE Jim Crow, they are sittin' lovely because they got up got out and moved on. I loved grad school and being one of 10 blacks in the entire expensive ass school. Why? To let them mothafuckas know I was in their shit! Shit that they didn't want me to be in, graduating with their books and fuck theM! I was speaking up, cursing out and taking numbers!
The best form of revenge is success. if you can beat them at their own game . . . whew! You'd be one strong muthafucka (i.e Russell Simmons, Colin Powell, Willie Brown, Johnnie Cochran, a whole bucnch of muthafuckas I graduated with).

And yeah, they make it hard. But so fucking what! Think how hard it was to cross a fucking ocean for 40 days in a cramped ass boat. You know they're devils. Just like you know that pit bulls bite, so you prepare yourself for the bite and keep strolling down the street, or you stroll down a different street but you still get there.

We gotta get past his whining shit. Our efforts would be better served another way. Fuck them! Take their fucking loans, go to school and pay $50 / month for the rest of your life. So fucking what! OPTIONS PEOPLE! Education is the key to all of this shit. y'all act like white folks don't work hard too. We give up before the hard part comes.

Our reality is different from theirs. It's our destiny. We need to stop trying to be like them. Lions are kings of the jungles. Do you see elephants walking around trying ot be Lions? Fuck naw! They being the best damn elephants they can be, runnin' shit. They're like, fuck a lion. He ain't shit. I don't even fuck with zebras. Elks are whatever. They don't taste that damn good anyway. Why I wanna compete with him?

OPTIONS PEOPLE! EDUCATION = OPTIONS. the person who said they could repay us with free school was on point like a muthafucka! And don't give me that shit about euoicentric education. There are plenty of college classes about your history. Use some of those elective courses for that and shut the fuck up! Fuck whitey! We can do this shit. We are stronger than, them, that's why they work so hard to stay at the top. Can you imagine? The only place to fall, is down. And when they do? I'll be waving bye at that white muthafucka.
Peace
Tiny
25470, In reply to tinyteanie's post!
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 02:58 AM
I feel ya Sis!
Being from the UK - we over here have a different set of problems to you guys in the US, as we're only second (and/or third) generation. There's also far fewer of us, percentage wise - that live in the UK compared to the amount of Black folk that live in America. For us - our struggle is probably about a couple of decades behind.

Saying that tho - we as Black people (wherever we may live) need to STOP pointing the finger/blame at the other man and START thinking about ourselves.

We need to STOP being seduced by that jiggy lifestyle we're bombarded with everyday, (which in my mind does nothing but exacerbate the whole get-rich-quick mentality, and pursuit of trivial things).

We need to START thinking about long term ish, how are we gonna make things better for us as a people in the future. NOT how quickly you can line your damn pockets, or how you're gonna ice your damn wrist/neck/pinkie!

THAT ISH DOES NOT F***ING MATTER PEOPLE!!!!

Tinyteanie, I too am sick of all the uffin whining and complaining that goes on. As for this whole struggle thing - EVERYBODY struggles. Yes I admit some more than others, but I guess it's the struggle that makes you stronger, it's the struggle that makes success sweeter.

IT'S THE STRUGGLE/CHALLENGE THAT GOT US WHERE WE ARE TODAY!.

There are plenty of opportunities out there, it's all a matter of recognising them when they arise, capitalising upon them, and making them work for you. In doing so, not only do make progress for us as a people, but we also honour the memory and struggle of our forebeares who enabled us to have these opportunities. They didn't expect ish on a plate - why should we?

We ALL need to get up off our arses and deal with the matter at hand!
As you say tiny - EDUCATION/OPTIONS are the key. Beat them @ their own game!

Much Love
Mxxxx (a.k.a. the original ok(uk)ayplayer) ;-)
25471, Nothing would be enough
Posted by incogx, Sun May-21-00 05:21 PM
Nothing they could give would heal us. Material would just be a pacifier. But they could at least give us the cure to AIDS (because I KNOW they have it), fix the education system, stop helping drugs get into inner cities, & put a library in place of every liquor store. And since our ancestors had no choice in being brought here, any of us that wanted to return to the Motherland should get free transportation. I ain’t playin’ yall!! And stop shooting us down! And free Mumia and all the MANY other innocents on Death Row or locked for life. Let Assata come and be with her family (that is if she even WANTS to come back). Punish the pigs who shoot unarmed black folk the same way they’d punish a brotha who shot one of them! There’s so much. I could go on forever, but I wont. Y’all got me fired up, up in heah!!

peace,
cog

~~~
“I was almost your father, but the line was too long!!! ...2pac in Juice

“........” ...Treach in Juice

“walk besides white women and they hold their purse/ i just asked you for the time b****!!!/ what u got anyway?!! some of the indian turf?!!!” ...Killah preist

“yall ain’t MCs/ u a CM, common mothaf*cka rhymin’ bout lexus & benz”...Wyclef Jean

“we be clubbin’ while the world around us is crumblin’” ...Chuck D (the Rhyme Animal)

“from amistad to amadou, attacked in the streets/ the term cop really stands for cappin’ our peeps” ...Tiye Phoenix

“now we all servin’ time/ even my prose is on probation” ...saul williams

“no trees grow in brooklyn/ seeds need to be planted/ i’m askin’ if yall feel me & the crowd left me stranded” ...talib kweli

saying being hardline is what it takes/ to take life/ hiding behind your iconic shield representing cowardice/ we as a people need to cower less ...Vet

put me in ur corner if u wish/ but i'll just be makin side notes on how/ f*ckin is fundamental/ how to get corporate america to fund tha mentals ...asighn4jane

home is where the heart is/ and homeless man run this land ...incog

~~Offensive Quote Month~~
“The illest since Magic Johnson” ... supherb
25472, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Sun May-21-00 10:48 PM
Clean up all black folks credit. That way my shit is A one. That there would make a lot of blacks happy. If not dancing a jigg to some wack ass botty bull shit. Oh yeh, no taxes for two years also. peace, love and a nappie goatie!!!>>>>>>>>>"RAP IS NOT POP IF YOU CALL IT THAT THAN STOP"-Q-TIP
25473, RE: the big payback
Posted by paranoiapalmtree, Mon May-22-00 11:33 AM
actually im glad you brought this up because i wanted to get a link to the net for a trip to egypt so i can go in one of those museums and take on of the grave artifacts that were stolen and when they try to stop me..tell them it belongs to me and my people what is the staute of limitations on grave decicration???could someone tell me that.the owe us way more then 40 acres try "tamerica"!!!!!so as i see it they dont have adollar amount that would apease me.you know ?plus that doe is only gonna further enslave us man!!!
25474, Re: the big payback
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 12:05 PM
>actually im glad you brought this
>up because i wanted to
>get a link to the
>net for a trip to
>egypt so i can go
>in one of those museums
>and take on of the
>grave artifacts that were stolen
>and when they try to
>stop me..tell them it belongs
>to me and my people
>what is the staute of
>limitations on grave decicration???
please, you don't think you're taking the righteous shit just a little overboard here? I'm curious, what is your actual connection to Egypt? How many generations are you seperated, or can you even really trace you roots to it? I'm asking, because I was born in Egypt, spent the first five years of my life there, and have the majority of my family living over there, and one side of my family has been in Egypt for as long as we know, but I know I'd feel like a damn fool walking into my museum trying taking something that once belonged to people who actually are my people. And even if I got it, so what, I can take it home to grandma, you think she'll want it? She'll be like, "what are you doing, stealing from museums, you don't know how to care for an artifact like this". I just think what some people think they're entitled to is a little out of hand.

Backhanded, pimpslapped backwards and left stranded - Kurupt
25475, Excellent Essay on the topic
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 12:24 PM
http://www.thenation.com/issue/000313/0313robinson.shtml

http://midnightfusion.com
http://www.mp3.com/midnightfusion
25476, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 02:06 PM
I'll make this short and sweet...I say u can not "show" enough money for all that we have lost.
we do not need money...we need an identity (f. hershman)
25477, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 02:17 PM
...education for our brothas and sistahs is the only thing that can "replace" the vast "unknowns" in our history...who had no chance to be somebody. WE HAVE a chance...and need to stop taking our "chances" for fuckin' granted! GET off your asses and move...work for a GOAL mutha fuckahs!!!!! Stop lookin' for the easy way out...the easy way to make a dollah! We need motivation...and MONEY distributed to people would be the WRONG thing to do...we'd spend it on the wrong things!

"stand for something or you'll fall for anything"
(Rev. Martin L. King)
25478, RE: the big payback
Posted by genesis, Mon May-22-00 04:41 PM
blood

oliva fox: if you were stranded on the side of the road and 3 cars pulled over, one with dmx driving, one with bobby brown driving, and the other with stevie wonder driving. who are you riding with?

russ par: i'm riding with stevie.

"excuse me while i kiss the sky" -jimi hindrix (jane, where is my cd?)

"...let us sing all songs to God
to whom all praise is due...praise God.
no road is an easy one, but they all go back to God." - john coltrane

"consider me an entity, within the industry, without the history, of spittin' the epitome, of stupidity" - talib kweli

"you ain't a nigga cuz you black, you a nigga cuz 'a how you act." - cee-lo
25479, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 05:58 PM
I think the Native Americans got legit beef too. The hills at blackfeet where the government took their land and years later the Supreme Court said that it was unlawful. The federal government then offered 150 million for the land. The Natives said no to the money, it was their land and so was the rest of America. It aint about money being paid back for the Natives its about their land where they lived peacefully and not shutting them out on everything new which they dont have resources to. The same goes with Afro-Americans i believe they need an equal chance towards resources. Hell give them a better than equal chance for resources. We need changes in this country, but so many people(Euro-Americans) are living fine and dont want to give up their "white privilege" i hate that saying but its DAMN TRUE!! the only way white privilege is given up, if its demanded to be given up. People are not conscious enough or care enough about minorites or the poor. We need to demand the end of white privilege!!!

"You think i'm gonna grab the mic and waste my country's time" KRS
25480, i don't think we should get anything....
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 05:37 AM
*count to ten...breathe, please don't beat me up

I really don't think this generation of black people should get anything. WHY? Because we didn't actually experiecnce it. Yes, we still have to struggle, but the actions of our ancestors paved the way. Those people in other countries or of other situations, that are getting reperations are still living. Like the holocust surviors(sp, some of those people are still living. I studied this in high school(Race and US Law 101) and unless something recent has happened where the government is changing their views, then I stand corrected. We didn't work for it, so why should we be rewarded?

I hope this didn't offend anyone.

"Get out of my face, you miserable hasbeen"...Alexis Colby-Carrington(Dynasty)

"Sista Gurl says peace"...D. Ryva Parker

"Player are you Okay,Player are you
Okay, are you OkayPlayer?"....Flowetry

"We have nothing to lose, but our
chains"...Ms. Assata Shakur
25481, RE: i don't think we should get anything....
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 11:55 AM
I'm offended...granted this generation did not physically go through what they did. However the mental slavery is still present in our current behaviors. Even if mental slavery was not a facts are facts this land was built by our ancestors. Like I mentioned before, If they are givin' shit away we should be the first to get it. But it will only fuck us up more so whats the point.

They got us thinking that the only way for us to be in better situation is for them to "give it to us." Now this IS an example of current day slavery.

I'm not sure of your race or nationality but I'm sure your past has affected your present and will affect your future.
25482, Peace Queen.....
Posted by guest, Wed May-24-00 07:19 AM
I'm feeling you. I am a young black female, and I have experienced alot(still growing though) and my opinions are based on the knowledge. I think what holds alot of my feelings on this situation, are the young black men that I USED to come in contact with. They were always on some, "The man did this to me, or the man won't give me a job, you owe me this, you owe me that", bullshit. That's when I started think, I don't what anything from you, that I can't get myself, you dig? Fuck your tax breaks(well actually that sounds pretty good, now...LOL) I gonna do this my damn self.

That's all. But thank you for responding to my post, I didn't think anyone would since it was so far down on the list.

"Get out of my face, you miserable hasbeen"...Alexis Colby-Carrington(Dynasty)

"Sista Gurl says peace"...D. Ryva Parker

"Player are you Okay,Player are you
Okay, are you OkayPlayer?"....Flowetry

"We have nothing to lose, but our
chains"...Ms. Assata Shakur
25483, RE: the big payback
Posted by guest, Wed May-24-00 06:54 PM
Actually, there is nothing that this government can do to make up the damage that has been done. Slavery has had such a devastating effect on every generation since and will continue to have an effect as long as this country exists in its current capitalistic state.

There are many rich white families out there who had wealth passed on to them by their forefathers who amassed their fortunes due to slavery. There are also many black families who remain in poverty as a result of their ancestors not having a damn thing when they were freed.

I don't think that just handing out a check to everybody who is black will do any good. A lot of people don't know how to handle money and black people as a whole won't really get anywhere if they just paid everybody in cold cash.

But I do think that black people should be exemptfrom federal taxes for many generations. Why should we have to pay federal taxes for a country that has for so long used federal funding to damage the social, political, economical, and health status of blacks for such a long period of time. Remember the Tuskeegee Experiment? And who knows what else is still going on that we don't know about.

I also think that any taxes, if any are taken from minority working people, that money should be used to improve the conditions in the community in which hardworking black people live in. Therefore there could be more community centers for kids and adults alike, and would offer many programs such as recreation, computer courses, music, art, etc. Think of all of the kids who would be off the streets if they had a safe plafe to play basketball or work in a recording studio for free.

Education should be a free ride from kindergarten all the way to college and the government should pick up the bill, one hundred percent.

Also, there should be grants offered to black people who are showing that they are going to finish school and get a job and the grants should pay for the homes one hundred percent. Think of all of the people who would stay in school and get a job if they knew that they were guaranteed to get a home for their accomplishments.

I think many programs like these would help to improve the status of blacks in this company. But no matter what this country does, is they ever do anything, nothing will replace what they have stolen from us in the past and continue to do so today.
25484, ya'll done up and done it.
Posted by FireBrand, Wed Mar-09-05 09:49 PM
The archives LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.northernarc.net