Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNot quite there.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2528&mesg_id=2573
2573, Not quite there.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Dec-22-03 11:48 AM

>does not an egyptian consensus make. ya'll all try to act
>like you're so objective and what not and then here you go
>running off to the presses just cuz someone in egypt said
>something you like to hear. hilarious.

No, Einstein, this is a discussion board. This is not the forum to gauge a "consensus." Even if it was, a mythical "consensus" in many cases in unhelpful for an understanding of a region's history, because Egypt in particular, is a place with a fragmented history, to the extent that distortion and myths have had to be sifted through for centuries. Contrary to popular belief, myth is hardly relagated to "afrocentricity" as you all have labelled it.

In the case of American History, there are few "consensus" views we can agree on. Same with WWII. Same with the current Iraq situation. "Consensus" tells us nothing about "correctness." Consensus is simly the understand that the majority of the people in a society ascribe to. If "consensus" were synonymous with "truth" then creationism, for example, would be a fact. Only a minority of people, natural scientists, truly understand evolutionary theory. Their view is by no means "consensus," it is just "correct."

Now to this conversation, the reason why people are intrigued by Sopdet's commentary is that rarely do we interact with a native Egyptian who makes such claims, and defends them as Sopdet does consistently. Her claims, are for the most point, absolutley true. The Sub-Saharan and hamitic myths HAVE ravaged the history of that region. The truth is that the vast majority of modern Egyptians ARE descedents of invaders, not the people indigenous to the land. This is rarely discussed in academia, even in circles around Egyptian ethnic history. I actually want her to write a book on the topic, because the sources she cites, are sound, but fragmented. One of Sopdet's strategies, a good one, is that often cites the work of racists, and points out that underneath the racist grand interpretations, is excellent research, with data that can be used for better purposes.

----------------------------------------------------
"O-E"--Inaugural Member, Okaysports Hall of Fame

"I do it the way I want to do it...It doesn't take news cameras or reporters or big events to get involved with the community....to let me know on the inside that I'm doing something good. -Rasheed Wallace

"Whoopdee Damn Doo" -Derrick Coleman.