Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: That is what
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25270&mesg_id=25330
25330, RE: That is what
Posted by M2, Wed Apr-11-01 09:51 AM
then why didn't you?

I was talking about affluent children and the opportunities they have anyway, how it's easier for them to go to college and walk into a 50k/year job at age 22.

Anyway, assuming that the data from US News and Job Track is skewed because it only takes into account elite colleges and/or kids who jobs at or near graduation, who are probably going to have the better jobs. Can we still agree that #1. It is relatively simple for kids from affluent homes, who have good jobs to make good money. (which was the point I was trying to make in the first post) and #2. While it may be a bit more difficult for poorer kids who didn't go to top schools...(or even ones that did) that it is still very possible..albeit a bit more difficult for them to make top money as well?

If you ask me, this all comes down to what you expect out of life, knowing how to reach your goals, and what is in the realm of possibilities for you.

Now my experience is very similar to McHottie's, VERY similar. At my school, the Investment Banks, Consulting Firms, Major Tech firms...basically sent dozens of recruiters down to our school with a list of the majors they wanted...if you were one of those majors you got a post card in your campus mailbox (as well as an e-mail) saying: So and So from Price Waterhouse of J.P. Morgan is going to be here, if you want to meet them....simply show up at place X and you can go to one of the nicest restaurants in town.

The way things looked (to me) is that the kids who felt they could get those jobs, simply went after them and got them. It wasn't neccessarily a talent thing either, I saw the poor kids hottie mentioned who weren't prepared culturally for life at Ernst & Young...end up in a lesser job, while the kids who asked them for help with their school work...got the E&Y job instead.

I firmly believe this is a case of goal setting and what you feel is possible for you, being born middle class basically makes you feel you can do certian things..but it doesn't mean it's not possible for others and/or not extremely difficult either.

Forget the arguments on what the actual numbers are, it's still possible and it has more to with what you believe you can do then talent.

I agree that the wealth of the bottom 60% has gone down, but I also think that has something to do with spending. The average American is spending something like $1.03 for every dollar they take in, not going to build wealth if you don't save what you earn.

A reading of the "Millionaire Next Door" should be required of all high school students, college ones too.

Peace,

M2