Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: This is what I'm saying.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25138&mesg_id=25182
25182, RE: This is what I'm saying.
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Jan-27-01 02:05 PM
>You're missing my point.

Hey, I am not about to argue about what you may perceive to be true or false. I can't cuz' that's your p.o.v. and it is as valid as mine. However, I can speak to my experience and to the success stories of the people I have worked with over the years in this still new field.

People find information if they seek it but they first must learn how to seek it, whether it's cable TV, the Internet, or any type of media outlet. We agree on this point. 90% of the reason I am at this place in my professional career is because I learned to seek what I need or want. No one had to show me how to find resources and this is what I teach to others-- how to empower themselves to seek resources and improve their lives via technology.

People find info and opportunities when they learn to seek it out and where to seek it. It's like picking up the tv guide or getting the schedule of programs from the tv station. It's about surfing, knowing how to use search methods effectively, etc.

For me, it's all about vision and being open. I am young and Black and from a "low-to-moderate-level background", yet, I have never needed to worry about employment or opportunities because I use technology to my advantage. The difference between my life and most of the rest of my family is great and I think that is because I have lots of options, at all times.

I am already a master in the GAME and I have followed my own rules all of my life, including using all of the tools and skills I can.

I play what kids call "Riverbank", I hop from one bank to the other, sometimes landing in the river but I am always in control of where I land. The "river" is much like the "digital divide" and some people never cross that expanse because they never learn how. The can't play the game.

I understand where you are coming from and I agree that there is more to this struggle than learning how to make a web page, owning a computer or having access to the Internet. However, learning to make a web page can be a skill that leads to developing a community network (community building) and that is empowerment.

Peace!