Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThen how will it differ from tv?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25138&mesg_id=25175
25175, Then how will it differ from tv?
Posted by nahymsa, Fri Jan-26-01 09:52 AM
They need to be active, producers of the
>content, not passive consumers.

You can produce the content, how will you get it to the masses. Millions of people have their own sites, millions of sites don't reach more than a handfull of people. The development of web advertising companies (at cost) is for just this reason. The link btwn traditional media & new media is necessary for large corporations for just this reason. No we shouldn't be passive consumers but the same types of issues we have in print and television, movie industries are following unto the web.
>
>Personally, I excercise, read, take classes,
>manage a nonprofit, meditate and help other people. I
>use technology to enhance my activities when I can and
>I can find info or resources on the Internet for
>just about everything I listed above.

And before the web, what did we do? our ability (as a community) to come together & get the word out was better before TV, ya dig. The internet can be a resource but other mediums work if utilized, the net is not a necessity to do any of the things you described. Having the tools isn't enough.....we've always had tools.

>Change and adversity is what one makes it. If people
>fear change or innovation they will continue to be on
>the other side of this so-called divide. If people
>see this technology as a threat to their way of
>life rather than mastering the tool to enhance life then
>people are doomed to be victims.

I'm not scared of change but all change isn't good & there is no guarantee that these changes are going to help rather than hinder. My point is that whatever we do, the problems of our community and the oppression we face won't be solved by internet access or use. Its a tool yes, its our saviour - no.