Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecta few thoughts...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25138&mesg_id=25169
25169, a few thoughts...
Posted by poetx, Thu Jan-25-01 11:16 AM
* don't know if there really is a pronounced divide. i recall seeing statistics which support that we are on the 'net more and some that assert that we're on less. there've also been high profile black techies/gubm't types who've disputed the divide. that could be a "shame" reaction, or it could be real. i haven't deemed the issue enough of a priority up until this point to do the math myself.

* are the cheap pc deals credit-based? that would limit their proliferation throughout the black community. i think, though, it s more an issue of priority and education about the opportunities. for the $400 ISP rebate deals, coupled w/ a cheap computer, its probably do-able for the price of some Jordan's and an outfit.

* i gave my mother-in-law, who is decidedly non-technical, my old os/2 machine and let her "share" ;-) my dialup account. even w/ low bandwidth (around a 36k connection) and a dust-old version of Netscape (it gets V3 compliant java and javascript, but flash and shockwave, etc are out of the question), she is able to keep in touch w/ family via e-mail, research different things via e-mail, and generally play in the whole e-happ'nins. she told my wife and i about classmates.com, where you can get in touch w/ folks you went to high school. she learned it from my wife's grandmother who's pushing 70, and talkin bout SHE want a computer because friends at her 50-some year class reunion was talking about that's how THEY keep in touch.

* my bro-in-law, who disappears from the face of the earth for about 2 yrs at a time, popped up in his recent incarnation, w/ a computer, and regularly searches for mp3's (burnt me some nice cd's), and more impressively, has found his last couple of jobs by posting his resume on the net.

* it comes down to "what's in it for us". if we get the word out that

A: there are ways of making the purchase affordable (ie, $100-200 range, minus discounts and promotions)

B: there are tangible benefits to it, like keeping up w/ far flung family (reducing crazy long distance $$$'s), finding jobs, entertainment (be it oprah.com, okp, or whatever), getting music, researching medical conditions (very big draw among seniors particularly)

and

C: there are future benefits (educational resources for the little ones, ability to start a small business, or prepare for a career change)

i think that we'd be all over it.

peace & blessings,

x.