Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: The Digital Experiment
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25138&mesg_id=25165
25165, RE: The Digital Experiment
Posted by Mesnjah, Thu Jan-25-01 09:09 AM
Wow Nettrice that center sounds great. I'm from the Boston area so I might have to check that out when I get back home. I think when you say the digital divide is an illusion you're defining it differently than most people do. I wrote a paper on it last year and the term is most often used to describe the different rates of access between communities, not a bias against using the technology by the underrepresented groups. It's been shown that expanding the technology infrastructure and building community computer training centers is the best way to close the gap in access rates. I would say there is definitely still a digital divide between white & asian vs. black & latino, rural & inner-city vs. suburban, and wealthy vs. middle & low income people. But the differential is due primarily to lack of infrastructure and access in the home, and this is accentuated by lack of access at secondary locations like schools, libraries and the workplace for those underserved groups. Programs like yours are precisely what's needed to close the gap though and I'm really glad you're bringing something like this to the Boston area. I assume you're familiar with Plugged In of East Palo Alto, CA which is sort of the pioneer of community technology access centers. President Clinton spoke there along with Jesse Jackson and Carly Fiorina (head of HP) at a Digital Divide summit last April. I go to Stanford and volunteer with some other programs in EPA so I can tell you more about them. Their site is www.pluggedin.org.

Respect,
MJ

We keep it type raw, and know exactly what we fight for / when the nightfall come, we in the right war / Cats who spill blood for a cause, not just because / Defy the authority and follow God's law / Revolutionary entrepeneurs... - Talib