Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectLets compare apples to apples
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25138&mesg_id=25150
25150, Lets compare apples to apples
Posted by Wendell, Thu Jan-25-01 09:24 AM
"Considering the concentration of African Americans in urban areas where cable lines (for cable modems) and copper lines (old phone lines provide the best service for dsl) are more prevalent than in rural areas, Af-Ams actually, as group, have a greater (and more reliable) access to these resources. Cost is the only real issue. Is $30 -$50 too much for high speed access service?"

According to a phone line repairman in my neighborhood (who was repairing my line), "the infrastructure is so old on the South Side (minority neighborhoods) that they (local phone companies) might as well tear everything down and start fresh. But they won't do that because it costs too much money." The brother told me that the phone lines on the "other side of the city" have been properly maitained and that's why they (Caucasians) get better service. He went on to talk about the political process and how to go about fixing our lines (citizens utilities boards). But the point is, comparing our situation to a rural situation is not appropriate.

Peace

Wendell