Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNATION BUILDING
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25013&mesg_id=25037
25037, NATION BUILDING
Posted by Solarus, Mon Mar-05-01 01:53 PM
Hotep

>Some of the main points in
>our conversation were:
>
>SELF SUFFICIENCY OF THE SCHOOL, too
>many african charter schools are
>closed due to lack of
>funding. We want to find
>ways around this through self
>sufficiency in every respect.

This brings up the monetary and financial factor of starting the school. I have to admit that right now this point is farthest from my grasp at the moment. I have to do more research on other charter schools in the US, currently to see what methods they are using. A few ideas would be to grow all the food needed for students AT the school (which means it the school will include a sizable amount of land) and utamaroho suggested the utilization of solar energy to power the school in order to not rely on the electric company. But i forgot about water? Where would the water supply come from.

>
>TEACHING STRATEGIES OF THE SCHOOL, African
>values and history provided to
>give students a "wholistic" education.
>

I'm working on this right now (Part of my graduate studies).

>
>COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT IN THE SCHOOL, Having
>the school as the nexus
>of the community, the center
>of the circle, without which
>the community cannot exist.
>

This is key. Especially considering parental involvement. PTA won't cut it. This will be largely dependent on the Afrikan-centeredness (or lack of) of the parents. Of course community involvement by those high in Afrikan-centeredness would be higher than those low in it. Some of my initial thoughts on such (especially for families with poor parent/child relationships) is to have classes programs and workshops with the parents. Families potentially hold the most influential force i the lives of children. This needs to be recognized.

Also the school needs to also function as a community center. Having the school function this dual role will also further the parental involvement since their children's lives will largely surround one nexus.

>SCHOOL'S ULTIMATE FUNCTION, to produce a
>caliber of spiritual, mental, physical,
>socially, culturally aware people capable
>of survival in any environment
>while pushing the limits of
>human capability. In this building,
>the inevitable destruction of today's
>problems(i.e. western culture) will come.
>
>

Nuff Said

PEace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus