Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25013&mesg_id=25013
25013, NATION BUILDING, the BEGINNING...
Posted by guest, Mon Mar-05-01 08:56 AM
May your servant be authorized to use the status that old age affords to teach to the hearers, so as to tell them the words of those who have listened to the ways of our ancestors, and those who have listened to the Gods. May I do this for you so that strife may be banned from among our people, and so that the two shores may serve you. -Ptah Hotep, 2,350 B.C.E, Kemet

After reading the entire book SBA: THE REAWAKENING OF THE AFRICAN MIND, by Asa G. Hilliard, III, I decided to have a discussion with Solarus about the concepts and procedures for creating schools for African children. This has long been part of both our personal goals, him majoring in psychology and early child development and me in mathematics/computer science. Over the course of the 3 hour conversation taking place all over the campus of Howard University we discussed such aspects as physical building of the school, maintenance, finance, community involvement, and basic principals of the type of school we want to run. The discussion was one worthy of sharing on the boards, so as soon as he sees it and respond, i hope that we can add to some of the ideas in order to refine what WILL eventually manifest.

In educating Africans, SBA, is indispensable as a primer on how to and how to NOT educate african children and people. Asa Hilliard is brilliant in his statements from reaching as far back as Ptah Hotep's teachings on how to listen to Ayi Kwei Armah in West Africa and his views on the Education and Socialization Process. For anyone interested in the education of future African Warrior Scholars this text is mandatory.

Some of the main points in our conversation were:

SELF SUFFICIENCY OF THE SCHOOL, too many african charter schools are closed due to lack of funding. We want to find ways around this through self sufficiency in every respect.

TEACHING STRATEGIES OF THE SCHOOL, African values and history provided to give students a "wholistic" education.

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT IN THE SCHOOL, Having the school as the nexus of the community, the center of the circle, without which the community cannot exist.

SCHOOL'S ULTIMATE FUNCTION, to produce a caliber of spiritual, mental, physical, socially, culturally aware people capable of survival in any environment while pushing the limits of human capability. In this building, the inevitable destruction of today's problems(i.e. western culture) will come.

RESPOND/REACT

(((((PEACE)))))

"REAL RECOGNIZE REAL, and even more than that, the fake, they REALLY REALLY recognize REAL!" -BlackThought