Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYou know what else is funny?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24836&mesg_id=24872
24872, You know what else is funny?
Posted by guest, Tue May-16-00 09:30 AM
Everybody is talking about change (with the word "boycott" whispered silently), but what you all need to realize is that we all should have been involving ourselves in BET's agenda from the jump-start. I mean, why wait until we are utterly sick of such dismaying material. I'm sure that most of these programs were going on way before these last two years.

Also, (I know it's been said before), but what is so bad about showing some ass in videos? Okay, you may not like it, however, it's entertainment and most of our people do like it. I'm not buying that argument that BET never shows any perspective of Black lifestyles outside of freaknik. Sure, they show a considerable amount of videos with sexual enuindo, however (just as Koala said) do not discount the fact that they show "Heart & Soul", "Lead Story", and a few other programs that do recognize other aspects of the Black diaspora.

Is BET perfect? Hell no! Who is? nobody.
Consider that BET is not as rich as MTV or VH-1.
Sure, those informercials are wack, but look....they need to pay bills.
Understand that I'm not taking a passive stance, I'm still very militant. However, let's not destroy our own people, let's help our own.
If y'all "boycott" BET and their sponsors, then how on earth are they gonna get the funds to provide substantial programming that we are so much demanding for?

Sure BET has the power to do so, but they also need the financial support. Don't blame BET for corporate America's atrocities.
I understand where some of y'all are coming from. Meaning, you have to resort to drastic measures in order for BET to really listen to what is going on.
Just remember, if White America sees certain images of Blacks and they want to stereotype us according to those things, then does that mean we have to stop (for instance) having sex?
I don't like Comic View anymore than some of y'all do, but please don't over-look the loaf of bread by picking at crumbs.