Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Don't misunderstand
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24836&mesg_id=24867
24867, RE: Don't misunderstand
Posted by guest, Tue May-16-00 07:44 AM

>You're going off unnecessarily. If you
>don't like the term boycott,
>hell, call it a wake-up.

Please try that- perhaps a "letter campaign," boycott is a far more serious endeavor.

>BET is not struggling. Please. You
>can do better than that.
>Secondly, perhaps but diagnosing what
>some people think is wrong,
>they can get better serve
>those folk (meaning us) right?

Perhaps- but if some of those people are currently fairweather viewers all their talk and suggestions may amount to nothing. As Ive always said in defense of BET- its hard as fuck to answer the call of people who want positive shows cuz those same people dont watch the positive shows that are already on.

As far as Bet struggling- I find it hard to believe that any Black enterprise in america is not struggling but i digress. Bet is in need of support- make no mistake about this.

I say- lets first get a tally of what exactly these complainers are watching and let them know all the other shows that theyre missing. If they cant fit them into their schedules or program a vcr then you might have a reasonable leter campaign- if they dont know those shows exist and arent gonna even try to watch them i think you should save the ink and paper.

>Abusing the rights by say like
>not paying you what your
>work is worth (the comedians
>on comic view),

How does a corporation determine what work is worth? and how could we possibly blame them for the entire American capitalist system. Who's telling you that the comedians are underpaid- the comedians?- that figures. But it couldnt be because BET is struggling financially cuz they arent- you think they want to show infomercials all day Saturday- thats ridiculous.

by presenting
>partial viewpoints and a only
>slice of what the Black
>community is about?

Financial news and information, Gospel programming, Political news and information, Hip Hop entertainment, Film and sports entertainment, a lot of viewpoints are represented in BET programming the question is what are you watching.

BET does
>both of those and many
>more. We're not saying they
>need to close up shop,
>but we ARE saying there
>are some things that could
>be fixed. Period.

Then accept that your role as a viewer is also in need of being checked. There's programming on BET that serves the purposes you're demanding yet you're not watching that programming- how then do you expect BET to answer your claims.

>In your opinion (I'm going to
>stop repeating myself any second
>now). One or tow letters
>PROBABLY WILL be ignored. But
>if a unifed group of
>folk make their opinions known
>it has a better chance
>to get results. Strength in
>numbers right?

I guess but if all those numbers are zeroes... What Im saying is qualify your complaints. you cant just say- there isnt enough positive programming especially if you're not watching the positive programming there is. Its important for you to assess our own circumstances before we hope to have a corporate entity meet our needs. Its like having a plate of food on your table and demanding the cook prepare more food; if you want to eat you must demonstrate that you are WILLING to eat before you are fed.

>Most of who? And how do
>YOU know what they do?

Ask em- thats what Im saying; ask them how much BET they watch.

>Anybody who has any iddea of
>how a boycott (or any
>other form of protest) works
>knows that the person who
>is protesting makes their views
>known through a myriad of
>methods. Don't be silly. You're
>much more intelligent than that.

are you sure that the people around here- know that much about a boycott. As i said- ask them. Its obvious that the people being enlisted here are not aware of the nature or development of a real and effective boycott. But you can be- the first step is to be organized, that doesnt mean coming together under a cause- that means assessing all of the causes and complaints that people have currently and making sure that those circumstances arent the product of some other problem.

>Again that's your opinion. It is
>duly noted. But so what?
>We supposed to stop because
>you don't agree? If you
>don't wanna play, then hit
>the bench. You know you
>my dog Koala, but why
>block or throw rocks from
>the sidelines? If you don't
>like the idea, or don't
>think it is going to
>amount to anything, then let
>it fail. Do you have
>any idea how hard it
>is to get folk excited
>enough about a thing to
>actually DO something aabout it?
>Please don't piss on these
>people's spark. Even though I
>don't think a "boycott" (in
>the traditional sense) is the
>way to go I'm still
>going to support and direct
>because I'm excited to see
>SOMEBODY takining some initiative.

Im throwing stones because its apparent that your people are going the wrong way. I am offering up a reasonable idea as gudiance for whatever actions these people are going to take.

Get organized- surveys, demographic results, contact information. Your discontent is duly noted- but it doesnt substantiate anything- not for the sake of opposing business. Fight fire with fire, business with business.

>>Its called solidarity people- get together
>>and work at that. If
>>you're not part of the
>>solution ou are indeed part
>>of the problem but in
>>the face a nation wide
>>adversity dont you dare say
>>that BET is the problem.
>
>Again this is your opinion. Others
>feel differently, as such let
>them do what they have
>to do.

All Im telling you is how things work- if you dont agree fine but carry on in the fashion you're speaking of and watch it go along in the same fashion as several atempts previous to this.

What you people need to do is assess your role in the BET audience before demanding they comply to your demands. You must establish where it is that you fit into BET before you can ask that they make more room for you. You must effectively demonstrate how much of a viewership you represent. What do you watch on BEt- when do you watch it? What are you missing? You must be aware of these things cuz they are crucial to your argument- they address what you have available and what you are not appreciating- fix those things within your own ranks before asking anyone to work with you.

How do you expect to go anywhere if you dont know where you are?

K