Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDon't misunderstand
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24836&mesg_id=24866
24866, Don't misunderstand
Posted by BooDaah, Tue May-16-00 05:51 AM
This is not an attempt to cut BET off at the knees. This is an attempt to let our voices be heard. Nobody is suggesting we shut them down, just that we let them know our concerns and what we think might be solutions.

You're going off unnecessarily. If you don't like the term boycott, hell, call it a wake-up.

Onward...

>Before you so boldly call this
>a solution check yourself and
>tell us what exactly you're
>solving.

Again this is an attempt to tell the folk at BET what we think could be better/changed. Rather than sit and bitch about how it sucks we are trying to find out specificallu what folk don't like and present some alternatives. You've seen the same post I have with folks complaining. Now we're saying "put up or shut up" to all those in the peanut gallery.

>Why boycott a community asset thats
>struggling as it is.

BET is not struggling. Please. You can do better than that. Secondly, perhaps but diagnosing what some people think is wrong, they can get better serve those folk (meaning us) right?

>You call that a solution?

It's better than being crabs inb a bucket and badmouthing them right? IF you have a problem with me or something I do, I'd MUCH rather you bring it to my face and let me dialog with you tahn have you snipe me behind my back.

>How boycotting Mobil that bleeds the
>earth of natural resources- or
>corporations that count on abusing
>the rights and dignity of
>wrokers here and abroad.

Abusing the rights by say like not paying you what your work is worth (the comedians on comic view), by presenting partial viewpoints and a only slice of what the Black community is about? BET does both of those and many more. We're not saying they need to close up shop, but we ARE saying there are some things that could be fixed. Period.

>if you
>are please tell me what
>boycotting all that is gonna
>solve.

It will simply let the opinions of those who choose to boycott be heard. Perhaps somone will care enough to make a few changes, if not at least those who are upset can say that they said what they had to say.

>If you have a problem with
>particular programming like Comic View
>or Jam Zone- then write
>a letter, thats your solution.

In your opinion (I'm going to stop repeating myself any second now). One or tow letters PROBABLY WILL be ignored. But if a unifed group of folk make their opinions known it has a better chance to get results. Strength in numbers right?

> most of y'all only watch about
>two hours of it a
>day so dont think you'll
>be missed.

Most of who? And how do YOU know what they do?

>If you boycott
>the sponsors how on earth
>will they know that you're
>boycotting coca cola cuz of
>BET?

Anybody who has any iddea of how a boycott (or any other form of protest) works knows that the person who is protesting makes their views known through a myriad of methods. Don't be silly. You're much more intelligent than that.

>What you claim to be a
>solution still only seemse to
>be talk even though you
>demand you're beyond these stages.

Again that's your opinion. It is duly noted. But so what? We supposed to stop because you don't agree? If you don't wanna play, then hit the bench. You know you my dog Koala, but why block or throw rocks from the sidelines? If you don't like the idea, or don't think it is going to amount to anything, then let it fail. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get folk excited enough about a thing to actually DO something aabout it? Please don't piss on these people's spark. Even though I don't think a "boycott" (in the traditional sense) is the way to go I'm still going to support and direct because I'm excited to see SOMEBODY takining some initiative.

>Its called solidarity people- get together
>and work at that. If
>you're not part of the
>solution ou are indeed part
>of the problem but in
>the face a nation wide
>adversity dont you dare say
>that BET is the problem.

Again this is your opinion. Others feel differently, as such let them do what they have to do.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
Help BooDaah STAY the Moderator for the OkayActivism Board....

Fill Angiee's Mailbox full of requests for me (HAHA she'll LOOOOVE THAT!!!)

How's THAT for pandering HMMMM???