Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectInteresting...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24836&mesg_id=24846
24846, Interesting...
Posted by unohoo, Thu May-11-00 04:17 AM
This is where I don't get as riled up as you do I guess. You see coonisms, and negative images, I see black folks being themselves in the company of other black folks. The cyber-hoodrat/ALL/LA Tonight? The problems those shows have are all quite minor I think. The channel is called the Black ENTERTAINMENT Channel and primarily what it does is showcase black music. (what's wrong with that?) BET has been quite limited in the past in its programming but I do think it is branching out and doing a much better job.

Am I watching BET? Of course! Are you? For an ENTERTAINMENT channel I think it does quite well, with Mad Spots, Body and Soul, Teen Summit (for the lil duns), Tavis Smiley's show, The Black Voice(w/Armstrong Williams the black republican), Out The Box, Hits, Docugroove even those crony Arabesque movies. These are all recent developments and they are being shown obviously to the blind cause no one wants to acknowledge them.

All of these shows employ and highlight black talent. Say what you want about LA Tonight but it does give you a chance to see some black people who would otherwise barely be seen on mainstream late night shows. Yes the show could use improvement, but I think that will come with time. Same with those corny Arabesque movies, they give black actors a chance to work and play characters outside of their stereotypes. I'm not saying BET couldn't use some substantial work, but I also don't think they are dropping the ball bad enough to the point where a boycott is in order. That's all I'm saying.

Be easy kinfolks...

New album by my younger broski on Blue Note Records Jason Moran entitled "Facing Left" in stores June 27th!! Go cop that!! And if you really wanna support a brothers brother then buy his debut "Soundtrack To Human Motion".