Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Why would you boycott BET again?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24836&mesg_id=24845
24845, RE: Why would you boycott BET again?
Posted by BooDaah, Wed May-10-00 11:33 AM
>I mean what's the beef against
>BET?

They could be doing better and their not. And worse, they act like they don't give an eff (the reasonaing and excuses are pretty pitiful). Perhaps something as drastic as a boycott would get their attention.

>Is it that they
>don't have varied programming?

Yes.

>Is it that you feel the
>images projected are negative?

Yes

>Is
>it that you feel you
>are not represented?

Respresented? Maybe (depends on your perspective). Represented properly? Not really. But this is subjective. I'd just like to see folk who feel like they aren't doing right to "get up, stand up"

>IS it that BET is making money?

No, it's that they are making money at the expense of our image and culture. If you're going to represent yourself as "The Black Voice" on cable, you gotta do better than videos and infomercials (sorry one hour day to tavis, and one news show ain't cutting it). BET is borderline pimping the community. Why can they, because we really don't have much choice. But that don't mean we gotta take whatever crap they send.

>I don't understand why so
>much vitriol is being spewed
>at BET.

Then frankly you're not paying much attention (to the channel, or to the folk who have many legitimate beefs).

>I'm not saying that it couldn't
>use some improvement, but a
>boycott just seems extreme especially
>when no one has really
>clearly outlined a legitimate reason
>to boycott BET.

Desperate times, desperate measures.

>This same energy could be directed at
>the major networks, and even
>Hollywood who have far less
>representation of black people, black
>voices, much less black culture.

Why not both. One doesn't expect to have "the majority" represent us properly (at least I don't), but when one of our own does it, to me that's 100 times worse.

>Before I get attacked though,
>what do you really want
>out of BET that you
>don't get right now?

Quality programming. Less coonism (LA Tonight-or whatever-its-called/ALL/THAT DAMN CYBER HOODRAT). Less infomercials. ORIGINAL programming like documentaries. Why not consilidate the three channels they have (BET MOVIES, BET on Jazz -- if that's still on, and BET) into one QUALITY channel instead of thre half a$$ed ones?? Wait, I know why. $$$.

That any help?

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
Help BooDaah STAY the Moderator for the OkayActivism Board....

Fill Angiee's Mailbox full of requests for me (HAHA she'll LOOOOVE THAT!!!)

How's THAT for pandering HMMMM???