Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject"What do you do if stopped by the Police?"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24804
24804, "What do you do if stopped by the Police?"
Posted by didi, Sat Apr-15-00 08:04 AM
(sponsored by ...)

Yes, people - this seminar does exist.

I took some of the kids that are in my program to this seminar last night, which was sponsored by one of the sister programs under my foundation's umbrella.

I was never more disturbed in my life.

Overall, it was good information. They gave really good tips on what to do if you are accosted (sp?) by the police. Main three tips:
1) Remain calm
2) Do as you are told, regardless of how unreasonable
3) If you feel that you have been violated in any way, immediately file a complaint (but with a precinct/district OTHER than the one that the offending officer is associated)

The most disturbing thing is that the kids who attended (between the ages of 13-20) were AFRAID of the officers (who were Black, as well as the people who attended). In fact, they were even apprehensive about having general conversation with the officers, and were shocked when the officers played basketball with them afterwards.

I think that what disturbs me more than anything were:
1) That the need for these seminars even exist in the year 2000 (which means that things are getting worse)
2) In situations where police brutality are present, people of color do NOTHING about it. Come on - situations similar to Abner Louima, Amadou Diallo and Patrick Dorismond have happened for years; those were the ones that got the most publicity. However, people of color are so paralyzed by their fears (real and unreal) of getting persecuted/prosecuted for something that they did/did not do that they feel powerless to regain their dignity after being violated.

BTW - I will be talking in depth with those officers in charge of the program so that I can not only hold a similar seminar for our youth, but also to organize and rally for some systematic changes (secure and confidential complaint reporting procedures, increased and effective sensitivity training for new officers, police/youth mentoring programs, etc).

What do you all think?

Sorry this is so long, but it has been on my mind for quite a while now (I almost cried last night at the seminar).

Thanks for reading.

:-D
The Smut Phoenix

Some people just ooze of all things sexual ... the question is of whether or not you are up to the challenge of letting that ooze get all over you.

"D(i), muthafucka, D(i)!!!!!" - Radio Raheem, "Do the Right Thing"

CELEBRATING APRIL AS WACK QUOTE MONTH ON OKAYPLAYER.COM --
"I usedta be scared of the dick ... now I like to wrap my lips all around the shit ... like a real bitch ..." - Li'l Kim

24805, Thoughts...
Posted by BooDaah, Sat Apr-15-00 08:40 AM

>Overall, it was good information. They
>Main three tips:
>1) Remain calm
>2) Do as you are told,
>regardless of how unreasonable
>3) If you feel that you
>have been violated in any
>way, immediately file a complaint
>(but with a precinct/district OTHER
>than the one that the
>offending officer is associated)

i really don't know what to say...the first one is cool i guess, but everybody knows that some cops trip off their power and are just out to get in your behind cause they can.

that said, you have to realize that THEY have all the power and not expedite making the situation into a power play. or give them an excuse to get in your mix (if not kill you).

I've hated cops (in general) for years based upon some seriously jacked up things I've had done to me. i know not all cops are bad, yeah, yeah, but the entire idea that a grooup exists which is SANCTIONED to make my life harder (under the guise of the public good) sticks in my teeth like stringy barbeque chicken.

>The most disturbing thing is that
>the kids who attended (between
>the ages of 13-20) were
>AFRAID of the officers (who
>were Black, as well as
>the people who attended).

Why not be afraid? Look at the news. Young and Black means you have a targt on you pure and simple. Hopefully that fear will translate to caution, because that's what'll keep them from getting Louima-d (RIP)

Wouldn't you be shocked if someone from the KKK or wherever offered to kick it with you. Sadly I know more people that have been gotten by cops than the KKK. And that's real,

As far as people of color being complacent in the face of brutality, I can understnad that to a degree too. Sometimes it's hard to fight when soomone is pressing you down. Especially when the mayor/police chief/judge/jury says it's okay for them to give you as much grief as they can.

>Thanks for reading.

Thanks for writing...:-)
------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
Help BooDaah STAY the Moderator for the OkayActivism Board....

Fill Angiee's Mailbox full of requests for me (HAHA she'll LOOOOVE THAT!!!)

How's THAT for pandering HMMMM???
24806, I want an OK sign too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by dafriquan, Sun Apr-16-00 06:42 PM
Glad to see you got it BooDah....(muttering "effing aristocrats" under breath ;-) )
ONE LOVE

"These words may not be used against me in a court of law"
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Buy two copies of Common's latest, Like Water For Chocolate. One to Listen to and the other one to auction on e-bay in mint condition twenty years from now for about $1000.00!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

24807, RE: Thoughts...
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-16-00 08:22 PM
You have very intelligent things to say but Louima wasn't killed. He was sodomized, which may be worse at the time and the crime perhaps more vile, and he is still alive.

oh, btw

NOI sorta kicked it with KKK in meetings bc they are both essentially just racial separatist groups...obviously the NOI doesn't exactly stand for the black community, just like the GOP doesn't stand for the white one

"There are many Americas we never see because they aren't visible in our culture where television delegates authenticity"-me
24808, RE: Thoughts...
Posted by BooDaah, Sun Apr-16-00 08:44 PM
>You have very intelligent things to
>say but Louima wasn't killed.

You are right. In my glibness I menat to say "Diallo-ed". I'm surprized nobody checked me before.

>NOI sorta kicked it with KKK
>in meetings bc they are
>both essentially just racial separatist
>groups...obviously the NOI doesn't exactly
>stand for the black community,
>just like the GOP doesn't
>stand for the white one

i totally am confused here. did i mention NOI (please don't get me started on them, i got issues).

24809, RE: Thoughts...
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-16-00 08:51 PM
no it was just the "kick it" comment that brought it to mind and made my thoughts jump
24810, RE:
Posted by guest, Sat Apr-15-00 08:42 AM
This is coincidental because just yesterday I was approached by the 2 white cops in a car and all I heard in my head was "diallo...ahmadu..etc" I wasn't afraid just curious as to what they'd want with a girl standing on the bus stop coming home from school in her lil' catholic school uniform..anyway they ushered me over to the car when they were at a red light started askin me why I was coming home from school late trying to make it like a joke "o your coming from detention huh ha ha" , then they were asking me about girls they knew that went to my school, what grade I was in, where I lived..mind you the light had turned green like 5 min earlier...hole up now that I think about it, it almost sounded like an interrogation <scratchin head> the one thing I do know was that I wasn't about to get into the car even if they had asked if I wanted a ride home, they just looked like those "bad" cops..but from that experience right there, I know why youth nowadays are afraid of them esp young, black males. If I was practically interrogated right there on a street with my uniform on, how worse would it be for a black male chillen on the corner with his du rag and tims, underneath it all your still black and sometimes thats the only thing that counts.

~>~ ~>~ ~>~ ~>~ ~<~ ~<~ ~<~ ~<~
Me: Dayum!!
Cute Guy: What?!?!
Me: Your lips are looking type chapped..
Cute guy: (confused look)
Me: Would you mind if I wet them? :*

-The award for Favorite male singer of all time, Fwinest Man in the world, and Body of a god goes tooo...(drumroll)...-D'ANGELO!! (trumpets)..

Women nah wah no bait!!--Sean Paul

AOL: Afriqueen3
24811, *gasp*
Posted by didi, Sat Apr-15-00 09:25 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to you ... do you think that you will do anything about it (file a complaint, etc.)? I'm curious ...

The Smut Phoenix

Some people just ooze of all things sexual ... the question is of whether or not you are up to the challenge of letting that ooze get all over you.

"I usedta be scared of the dick ... now I like to wrap my lips all around the shit ... like a real bitch ..." - Li'l Kim

24812, RE: *gasp*
Posted by guest, Sat Apr-15-00 04:33 PM
Nah I'm not gonna file a complaint because of the fact that the way they were asking me questions wasn't like harsh or anything, I just look at situations like that and realize what I and my fellow black youths can do, and just for the fact that I handled myself well in that situation without getting my attitude proves something to me. People can react and have violent outcomes or be calm and walk away. I mean it shouldn't have to be between those two at all, but things are gonna change sooner or later, hopefully sooner rather than later, and in NY alone staged protests take place close to once a week if you look at the news. Throughout history protest and ACTIVISM measures leads to change, and this whole issue with the cops and african-americans will not disappear, but I hope it gets to a point where we can actually say we trust the police to a farther extent then how some of us feel now.

~>~ ~>~ ~>~ ~>~ ~<~ ~<~ ~<~ ~<~
Me: Dayum!!
Cute Guy: What?!?!
Me: Your lips are looking type chapped..
Cute guy: (confused look)
Me: Would you mind if I wet them? :*

-The award for Favorite male singer of all time, Fwinest Man in the world, and Body of a god goes tooo...(drumroll)...-D'ANGELO!! (trumpets)..

Women nah wah no bait!!--Sean Paul

AOL: Afriqueen3
24813, I got so many damn complaints wit detroit po-po
Posted by earthqueen, Mon Apr-17-00 12:32 AM
that it's damn ridiculous, shit from harrassment to leaving me and my girl stranded downtown, with a effed up transmission at 5 in the morning. saying a tow truck will be by soon, i thought they were here to protect and serve. Now i could see if we had been giggin, with the ret of the city but nukkas was comin from slavin(wurk), and them bastards just left us on the fuckin freeway...
and that was damn two years ago i havent been called for court date the first... so complaints and ish really don't count unless someone files them in your honor cuz you're RIP
i te4ach my mentees, to never pull over unless it's in a populated, well lit area, no side streets or nothin, adn i taught them how to read badge numbers and to remember po-po car numbers and liscense plates, hell, ain't too much i can do except pray..and protest
im wit NWA FUCK THE POLICE

fuck all ya badge carryin muthafuckas, whip my ass gimmie my cash--Eddie Griffin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know more about what freedom isn't , than what it is...ASSATTA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reverse psychology got'em scared to say when shit is WACK/the fear of being called a hater imagine that/we aint havin that/reachin past the star status that you grabbin at/my battle rap flash yo ass back to yo nat-tu-ral habitat....TALIB KWELI

24814, RE: I got so many damn complaints wit detroit po-po
Posted by Finesse, Mon Apr-17-00 07:44 AM
I had actually filed a complaint on a cop.. because A he was follwoing me.. for a reason I dunno I wasn't even speeding... but I never realized it was a cop until he pulled me over.. it kind scared me to be honest cuz I thought it was some crazy driver following me.... tryin' to kill or ass or somethin'.. he was so far up my bumper it wasn't even funny.... I do admit to not stopig all the way @the damn stop sign.. but damn what are you suppose to do if you get nervous wondering why someone is following you.. eventually he pulled me over... when he accussed me of speeding.. I disagreed with him... obvisouly he was one of those "I am aways right" cops.. cuz that pissed him off and he told me to step outta my car.... now I had two witnesses which were my friends just in case, needless to say he gave me a ticket.. and when I went up to the percint(sp?) to tell them how I plead I told the lady what happened... and she had the nerve to tell me well maybe he was just having a bad day?!?! Bad day my ass that was no excuse for him to do what he did.... anyways I filed a complaint on him, but I doubt it did any good....... and it makes me wonder is it a point to complain?

>---aka Lady_Finesse---@

Leo's Horoscope 4/17/00:
You might be attracting people like a magnet right now and your romantic possibilities could be getting pretty intense. Some interesting and unusual opportunities are liable to present themselves this week. People are likely to be impressed by you even if you don't leave the biggest tip or bring the greatest gift. There's no need to show off or to continuously try to impress people. People are likely to appreciate you regardless of what you do right now.

"If your house ain't in order, you ain't in order" - Toni Cade

24815, All that being said ...
Posted by didi, Sat Apr-15-00 09:27 AM
... and with all the anger (justifiably so) that we are harboring, what suggestions does anyone have to changing the situation - whether it's on our part or theirs?

Just curious. But continue venting if you have to! :-)

The Smut Phoenix

24816, Forgive me...
Posted by BooDaah, Sat Apr-15-00 09:37 AM
..if that vent comment was a response to my ramblings. I really wrote all that to say that folk (especially chocolate ones of the male persuasion) have TONS of reasons to be mistrustful/scared/negative toward police/

As far as solutions, yeah filing a report and all that is cool. But unless you got video (and even then in Cali) or a gang of witnesses who have nothing to do with you, who are they gonna believe -- the person with the social stigma or the officer in question?

The best advice I can give is Watch your behind. Do everything in your power not to be a target for ignorance (ie - don't give 'em an excuse). And even if you still do that, you better be praying too, cause someday it just might be you in that darkened doorway.

24817, RE: Forgive me...
Posted by didi, Sat Apr-15-00 09:50 AM
>..if that vent comment was a
>response to my ramblings. I
>really wrote all that to
>say that folk (especially chocolate
>ones of the male persuasion)
>have TONS of reasons to
>be mistrustful/scared/negative toward police/

*** Noooo - it wasn't meant to be a barb. I'm glad that you stated how you felt. As a matter of fact, I would love to see us vent about this for a change. After all, I believe that the first step toward action is to acknowledge how you feel about the situations. Perhaps then, everyone involved (including those who, um, didn't have any idea as to how we felt) could understand why we are so hostile toward the police.

>
>As far as solutions, yeah filing
>a report and all that
>is cool. But unless you
>got video (and even then
>in Cali) or a gang
>of witnesses who have nothing
>to do with you, who
>are they gonna believe --
>the person with the social
>stigma or the officer in
>question?

*** That's a good point. In fact, I feel the exact same way (this will be one of the questions that I will ask when I speak with the officer in charge of the seminar). However, what can WE do to make it so that we WILL be listened to? Are we voting? Are we indeed filing enough complaints so that the powers that be at least call attention to the fact that we are no longer being silent and complacent?

>The best advice I can give
>is Watch your behind. Do
>everything in your power not
>to be a target for
>ignorance (ie - don't give
>'em an excuse). And even
>if you still do that,
>you better be praying too,
>cause someday it just might
>be you in that darkened
>doorway.

*** That's the officers' point in giving the seminars. Simple as that.

Seriously, though, I am at a loss in determining what our communities' course of action should be. Like I said, I am conflicted to the point of activistic (there's a word for ya!) paralysis. I mean, I have ideas, but I would like to hear others' points of view also.

The Smut Phoenix

24818, A way to help correct the problem?
Posted by bluetiger, Sat Apr-15-00 09:55 AM
I posted this elsewhere, but it might as well go here:

I would like to see implemented and see OKPs rally around: Citizen/Community Review Boards for Police. And that police are required to go through anger management classes, cultural diverity training, and taught the 4 million other ways to stop/disarm a suspect without the use of deadly force (which is used entirely too often and too quickly). When the police respect the people they serve, the people will respect them.
24819, My only problem is..
Posted by BooDaah, Sat Apr-15-00 10:28 AM
..we can start all the review boards we want. If Joe cops want to put his foot in my behind, the review board can't do jack till after the face (hence the name REVIEW). Who is to say that I won't be dead while the whole thing is being looked back in hindsight?

But you're right. We do need to implement a means of making police more accountable for the jobs they do.

24820, Good Idea
Posted by MisterGrump, Sun Apr-16-00 08:46 AM
I go to a school out in the country with a small, identifiable minority population. However, many still have apprehension with the polices(Yeah I said it like that!) in our area and along the highway. It would be good to have a similar seminar with the University, Town, and State patrol associations in order to become familiar with our rights and establish some rapport with them so incidents in the future won't be as tense.

Mister Grump

"If you possess, the ability to open someone's eyes, move masses and expand their world but you refuse to, then you have forsaken your gift from The Most High."
---Pharoahe Monch

24821, afraid
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-16-00 03:59 PM
All I have to say is that I have twins a boy and girl who are about to turn 20(that don't make me too old, I just started really early :D) anyway they have been driving a few years now. My daughter drives a nice grand am and has only been stopped by the cops once to say her light was out(not ticketed) my son drive a little old celica but it's pritty "souped up" he has four tickets already and says the cops are ALWAYS tailing him. I am really afraid not just for my son but for most of our young black men out there just tryin' to make it.
24822, RE: i applaud u
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-17-00 03:10 AM
alot of people including myself talk about things not being fair or just or what have u...but u are actually takn the time out to improve the barriers between the police and law abiding citizens...passing this type of info is a blessing...good job man...my hats off to u...

mother sistah always watchn(rubydee)

i aint a playa but i got some peeps up in ohio(boogieman)

i cockblocked the world so now they cant fuck me over(strange)
24823, Didi?
Posted by fire, Mon Apr-17-00 10:08 AM
What foundation are you a part of?

BTW, great post!

I AM STILL CRUNK!

I AM STILL BLACK MUSIC

Let the hating begin!!!

"me thinks fire needs a week away from okayplayer to get in touch with the world again, save a lil face at her job, and prevent carpal tunnel. her responses, now limited to 1/64th the size of her signature. her posts need zest....her replies need tabasco sauce....goodness. please sign below so she can take a vacation." -MCFEELy

firefire100@hotmail.com
24824, DC
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-17-00 01:55 PM
what can you do? My friend's brother had always wanted to be a cop in DC, finally he gets, and quits two weeks later... why? shit was too corrupt for him...
clo
24825, FUCK THE POLICE
Posted by paragon216, Tue Apr-18-00 12:10 PM
i hate aaaall police..
i am sick and tired of their "somebody died and made me god" attitude...when you are approached by the police your rights are immediately suspended...they will harrass you, beat you, ticket you, even kill you whenever they feel like it..there's not much you can do to redress the situation with the sytem they protect their own..

therefore i approach each confrontation as though my life depends on it...and i make no apologies for not blindly doing whatever mr. officer tells me to do...i will not answer any irrelevant questions like "where are you going, where do you live, what are you doing out at this time of night?"...a fucked up question desrves a fucked up answer....

i've been approached, harrassed, stopped, interrogated and searched on numerous occassions without probable cause or explanation..all i can think about when stuff like this happens is that they are stripping me of my manhood...how would i react if my girl, my niece, younger sibling or anyone who looked up to me were watching..?..anyway that shit will never happen again...nowadays i give cops hell...i always carry my camera with me and take pictures whenever i see cops harrassing anyone...i write articles that expose them for what they are and participate in organizations with the same goals..

a brief history of some of my run-ins...

first time i got stopped i was fifteen, it was dark in the winter..i was walkin around with my tripple fat unzipped and my timbs untied cause i had just come outside...a cop car pulled up and the driver told me to "come here"..."for what" i asked..."get on the car! get your hands out your pockets get your hands out your pockets"..another one yelled...they rifled through my pockets, pants and boots until an adult came out and started questioning them...they said someone heard gunshots and i fit the description...yeah right...the guy later told me that one of the cops had his gun drawn on me...

i don't think any man would appreciate some guy rifling through his pockets and crotch, manhandling you...you feel violated...

i was stopped again a couple months later, on the other side of town...

years later i was stopped while driving from cleveland to dc at night...the officer had turned her head lights off and she said she had been following me for miles and ran my plates..she said i looked suspicious in my black hatchback excel...i almost got off at a wrong exit and i swerved to get back on when she pulled me over..
she ticketed me for not having a license and drove me to a gas station to call someone to pick-up me and the car or it would be towed...i had to walk down the street to the 7-11 to get a phone card and on my way back while walking on the side of the road i was stopped by a black cop...this nigga had me spread on the hot ass hood of his car and threw every piece of change i had on it...
he ran me again and the let me go..he wasn't buying my story..

i've been stopped several times coming home from work once in broad daylight...i was walking when a kid came running out of an alley...2 minutes later a cop comes running out...he's all huffin and puffin, looks around and collars me...he's yellin sumthin about a stolen car...i tell him i'm comin home from work and mindin my business (i still had my bet badge around my neck)..he called for reenforcements and now it's five cops harrassin me...they searched me and my bookbag but found no id..i tell 'em i'm not givin up any info until they tell me what i'm bein charged with
..they say they'll tell me after they get my ss, the get it and run me, cause i have no priors they gotta let me go...they refuse to give an explanation...

one night while walking home a white cops yells at me to come here..i ignore him and keep walking cause the areas pitch black...of course he calls in the calvary...the cruisers swarm me under the streetlights...they wanna know what i'm doin out this late...again i refuse to show id...white cop asks why i didn't stop...the black cops say it would be quick if i give em id...i'm clean they're about to let me go...i ask the white cop what would he have done in my shoes..we get into a shouting match...i remember him saying with his finger in my face "i don care what happens, when an officer tells you to do sumthin you do it!"

..an incident that really stands out happened while a group of 15-20 students were have a meeting at a local cafe...i watched from inside as officers pulled up and asked the owners about a table on the sidewalk...the officers didn't like something he said and in a flash they are tussling...

i run outside with others.. one cop is holding the owner...the other is pointing his mace at us with one hand and calling for help with the other...next thing you know fifty cop cars have the block surrounded...pd, atf, secret service, dea all responded...they start beating down anyone they could grab...sticks, fists, mace..one cop in his rage accidentally blacked another cops eye...i saw a huge six foot plus black cop lift up a girl who could only weigh a buck 'o five by her neck while two cops beat her...they forced us back into the cafe and then tried to yank us out one by one...

i notice the same kind of potential rage in all cops, there are no "good" cops...if a cop were lynched for every diallo there would be no police brutality..1

24826, a little suspicious ...
Posted by el_rey, Tue Apr-18-00 01:11 PM
Hmmmm, sounds good on the surface, but I'm HIGHLY suspicious of such programs that are initiated by the police themselves. I just can't trust them to give people in the community the right information. Imagine if Bull Connor's police were giving out leaflets to Civil Rights workers on how to deal with the police if approached. Or Frank Rizzo's? The first thing we need to recognize is that we are in a STATE OF EMERGENCY with the police right now. Not that its any different then it always has, but the police are becoming more and more empowered to interrogate, harrass, and murder innocent people with each acquittal and slap on thye wrist. We live in a police state fam, and they are the last people we need telling us how to act when we are being harassed! If they are going to work on anything, they should be working on recognizing and eliminating racism within the police force (although given their history, I find it hard to imagine that this will happen).

I think that I have a booklet somewhere about "what to do if you're accosted" but put together by a community group. I will try and dig it out, and if there is anyone interested, I can make copies for you and send them off.

Just let me know ...

love and respect,
El Rey

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite." - Mos Def

http://www.mumia2000.org
http://www.mumia.org
http://www.mumia911.org

24827, good for you
Posted by DJ_scratch_N_sniff, Tue Apr-18-00 04:41 PM
Keep that ish up, but don't tell those kids to be ANYTHING but afraid of the cops.

p.s. check my post about racial profiling. it has a lot to do with this.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy." -- a psychotic drunkard
24828, Who's Afraid
Posted by nushooz, Thu Apr-20-00 04:47 AM
I can't blame anybody for being afraid of the man. Somewhere along the way we all - including the police - have forgotten that THEIR JOB IS TO PROTECT & SERVE not PATROL & CONTROL! And the violent activities of the patrol board, aka the police, are the results of them forgetting just that.

I don't trust the police department to protect me, they only suspect me! In situations that I've had to deal with them, they approach with PRIMO ATTITUDE no matter what the situation. I know that there are some good cops but all I see is the actions of the bad ones.

Those children should be taught the real role of the police. They are here to SERVE us. At the same time, teach them that we all are accoutable to some body. And if you feel wronged its imperative to find some body to "right" you.

Those civilian rules of police engagement are good ones to follow - they will get you HOME and safe to FIGHT ANOTHER DAY!

Revolution?
I,I, I Can't Wait!
24829, if you dont like police beating your ass then....
Posted by guest, Thu Apr-20-00 11:37 AM
WRITE A LETTER...to some damn body...to all those people who said they were harassed by the police guess what nobody knows that except you and the friends and families you told. SO you have to speak up because most cases go unreported. Write a letter to your congressmen, and yes it may get no where but file a complaint with the police department. It cant hurt. Most young black youth who do get harrass by the police dont report it to anyone...so it just falls through the cracks. I bet if every Black youth who ever got harassed wrote a single letter that the mail boxes at the police departments would be over flowing. Write to the NAACP. Cant hurt.
I'm not saying that a letter will be the end all of all our problems with the police but every lil bit helps!!!
I dont know about where you live but in MD,Va, and Dc the police complaint forms can be found in local librarys.
START PACKIN PENS!!!!
~sig starts here~
harriet thugman is sheRise

I'll cut your ass in half and leave you with a simi-colon ~mr.man

The rich eat more then the poor, so therefore they're more likely to be full of shit ~amiri baraka

my

24830, RE: if you dont like police beating your ass then....
Posted by nushooz, Mon Apr-24-00 08:36 AM
Was that you that initiated the post about Black people writing letters? If so, I had your back then and I got it now!
We have become so accustomed to bad treatment that we just move on without letting somebody know. WE ARE ALL ACCOUNTABLE to somebody. If you've been wronged, then you should always find somebody to "right" you - writing is a good way to get that done.

WRITE even if you think nothing will become of it or that it won't benefit you personally. Why? Because it may help someone else!

Until we ALL OVERCOME, nobody gets over!!!!!

Revolution?
I,I, I Can't Wait!
24831, yea that was me :) n/m
Posted by guest, Fri Apr-28-00 06:08 PM
~sig starts here~

The rich eat more then the poor, so therefore they're more likely to be full of shit ~amiri baraka

my

24832, Up. n/m
Posted by disorganized, Sat Apr-22-00 03:40 PM
~ We all fit in because none of us belongs anywhere. ~ Claudia Shear

Okayplayer Guidelines:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Support The Boondocks, or have 7 yrs. of bad luck.
http://www.boondocks.net/main.html

24833, Now I've done half of the work for you...
Posted by guest, Fri Apr-28-00 06:49 PM
Have you had a cop beat your ass for no reason or feel like you are being harassed for no other reason then your face has far to many pigment cells? Do you live in the NY, Philly or DC areas? Well here are some addresses and numbers you can call to inquire about where and how to fill a complaint.

NEW YORK HEADS

New York City Police Dept.
1 Police Plaza
New York, NY 10038
(212)374-5300

New York City of Police Dept.
235 East 20th St.
New York, NY 10003
(212) 477-9700

NAACP
39 Broadway
New York, NY 10006
(212) 344-344-7474

PHILLY HEADS
sorry couldn't find the listing for the police department.

NAACP
1514 Cecil B Moore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19121
(215)978-7500

DC HEADS

Police
Washington, D.C. 20001
(202) 393-222 or
(202) 727-4326

feel free not only to write about personal complaints but also about the dialo case and just treatment of our people in general by the police.

NAACP
1025 Vermont Ave. North West suite 1120
Washington,D.C. 20005
(202) 638-2269

~sig starts here~

my

24834, RE: next time i know what to do
Posted by jumoke, Sun May-21-00 03:20 AM
now i know what to do if the cops stop me.
24835, FYI
Posted by guest, Mon May-22-00 12:20 PM

http://www.blackpolice.org/stopped.html