Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSee....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24723&mesg_id=24800
24800, See....
Posted by BooDaah, Thu May-25-00 07:42 AM
>..BET
>needs saturday morning cartoons

I think this is a fan-freaking-tastic idea. A danger I see (one of many) is that one of the ways people won't watch is if they put you on at the crack of dawn and shove 50,000 commercials into your show. This is the VERY thing I'm talking about. Not a TOTAL lack of quality programming, but moreso the lack of diversity in programming. If they put YOUR show on, something is either gonna have to get bumped or dropped. From a business standpoint it's easier (and cheaper) to just throw some videos on than to pay you what your work is worth. Not only that but you would need to be careful to not "sell your soul" like the comedians did/do. What if they bought say 13 episodes of your show and then ran them forever without you getting residuals? That would suck right? I'm sure you're smarter than that, but some folks wanna "get on" so bad that they'll agree to damn near anything. Ask Bro. Macgruder (OkayPlayer FreeHuey) why there's no Boondocks cartoon on BET. I'm sure he could throw a little light on this.

>.. but you couldnt
>imagine how long its taking
>me to bring those ideas
>to light.

You knwo what my brother, you really have no idea how much I DO know about it. It was my greatest desire (and probably still is) to be an animator and part of the reason why I'm not doing it is because of the politics of it. Even beyond animation, as an artist I DO know how hard it is to "birth" an idea and then to try to get it seen.

>Thats a lot of work as
>such there's nothing more i
>can do for the other
>programming instances you guys have
>issues with.

So then let us fight this good fight from whatever direction "we" choose because ultimately we're both striving for the EXACT same goal. Without you (and those like you) we have nothing to hold up as quality, and without us you have no one to champion the idea that there is a market for what you're offering.

>Thats why I suggested that okayplayers
>get together and start developping
>their own programming as well-
>Im doing it but doing
>it alone is killing me
>and if Im still alone
>when its done I dont
>know how much success it
>will have.

There are many of us who that is not our forte (generating new programming), our forte is demanding a spot for that programming. Each has to fight according to where his strength lies right?

>No matter how good my shows
>are- if nobody is watching
>BET nobody will be watching
>my shows- and for several
>reasons I have no intention
>of going anywhere else with
>my ideas.

I would jus hate for YOU or BET to decide that nobody will be watching without giving us a chance to.
------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
Help BooDaah STAY the Moderator for the OkayActivism Board....

Fill Angiee's Mailbox full of requests for me (HAHA she'll LOOOOVE THAT!!!)

How's THAT for pandering HMMMM???