Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: To Princeguy and K.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24723&mesg_id=24796
24796, RE: To Princeguy and K.
Posted by BooDaah, Thu May-25-00 07:27 AM
> Boodah, for the folks who
>aren't hating on BET for
>the sake of hatin', then
>this doesn't apply to them.

Then why comment HERE? The viewpoint that "some of y'all are haters" has already been made, duly noted, and addressed. This BET thing has been going on for a while, and truthfully the discussions that have been taking place on THIS board have been more toward "So what are you gonna do about it" realm.

>I don't see anything BET
>does that other cable stations
>aren't doing.

Funny, cause THIS is how thins thing got started. A player originally said "The NAACP is boycotting the entertainment networks for a lack of quality Black/minority programming (among ohter things) why does/should BET get away with the same thing?" they also said, "for those of us who sit and complain about how we would like better programming on BET what are we doing to get our voice heard?" Fro THAT the idea of some sort of boycott/protest was born and after a whole lot of bantering back and forth about "who are you to boycott" and "do you even know what a boycott reall is", here we are now. For you to jump in with the "Quit Hating" arguement is really adding nothing at the stage we are at now.That's why I said, go back through this post and the others floating arount OkayActivist to see the pregression of the discussion.

>It's entertatinment and
>people are acting like they
>should always "learn" something from
>watching BET.

Why not learn something? TV doesn't have to be just mental junkfood? What's so wrong with being entertained and learning/teaching something at the same time? Again, if BET only wantes to be the Black comedy/video channel then say that. Some (not all) would like to see "our" station reflect a broader range of what we find entertaining. Videos and comedy are fine, but more than 90% of BET programming is music related and even THOSE shows get run into the ground. Don't even get me started on their business practices concerning "Comic View". Those comics you see are being taken advantage of just like workers in a sweatshop. It's akin to a recording artist getting jobbed by a record label, if for no other reason than they aren't paying what the work is worth. Period. This has been well publicized and discussed. You turn on your TV and laugh without recognizing that teh stuff you are watching is people being pimped.

>That's not BET's
>responsibility. Why are people on
>here putting BET under the
>microscope so much.

Why not? If you are going to tout yourself as "The Black Network" then your gotta take the responsibility that comes with it. If you're only looking out for delf, then say so. Perhaps folk put them (BET) under the microscope because they feel that they expect "others" to treat us/them crappy, but expect more from one of "our own". I DO recognize that there are those that just hate to see someone else succeed where they aren't, but those folk have weeded themselves out already.

>It's the
>self hatred that I don't
>like. It's the envy that
>I don't like.

Why does dislike of BETs programming decisions/business practices have to translate to self hatred? Frankly, it DOESN'T really translate to HATE of BET. I love me some me (just like I love BET and all things that are part of my culture). You're being a bit judgemental.

>I consider BET to be a blessing
>to black people in America.

So do I. As such I'm going to sit by and let them pump out just any old thing either.

>Everything isn't gonna be perfect
>but that doesn't mean you
>jump on it and just
>throw it away.

It also doesn't mean that you have to just roll with imperfection. As a Christian you know full well that one should strive to be the best they can and not settle. No one is talking about "Throwing BET away". Where did you get that from?

>This is not what's being said.
>People are out for blood
>from BET. They recklessly try
>to make it out to
>be an evil demon or
>something.

Not here they don't. Again I say LOOK at the posts in this thread. Do you see how much BET we watch and how long we've been doing it. I can say PERSONALLY that I have fought to get BET on a couple of cable systems because I wanted to see Black folk have the opportunity to have representation. If you're speaking about folk outside of this post/board then you're screaming at the wrong folk. You said you aren't talking to me. Fine. So who are your talking to, and are they even here to hear you?

>And what does this have to do with God's
>view on homosexuality? We're talking
>about B-E-T, not G-O-D.

I was referring to a series of threads where you made your opinions known amongst a group of people with differing opinions. I ventured to say that you felt a certain amount of responsibility to pick up your banner and not just "watch the crowd go by". I remember how you were called names and attacked. Now I'm likening this to your running up in here calling folk haters. I'm wondering why you don't allow the same grace (in terms of saying what you felt to be right without being called a homophobe) to folk who strive to make their opinions known about BET thgat I demanded for you? You label folks as a "hater" and then go so far as to make psychological evaluations of them (all that "self-hate" business). I ask are you NOT being judgemental?

>...The followers who don't think
>for themselves, but just want
>acceptance from others.

I say be careful who you paint with that brush. Fine, you werent talking to me, I'm still going to ask you to quantify who are you to judge that someone is doing this or not.

>I agree that BET has
>room for improvement, but so
>does every station.

But right now we're talking about BET. You agree that some form of change would be nice, SO WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?? Don't YOU be one of those who is contennt to see the need for change but wait for someone else to make it happen. Isn't this what you said you disliked about the "haters" (going with the flow I mean)?

>But, I mean, what has
>BET done that's so wrong.

What have they done wrong in YOUR eyes (you said they could do better yourself)? You wanna know what folk are fussing about specifically, I say READ ALL THE POSTS.

>Why people acting like they
>don't watch videos or watch
>black comedians all of a
>sudden?

Who said either of those things?

>How am I being hypocritical by
>voicing my support for BET
>and showing my disdain for
>all the folks hatin on
>BET?

Because frankly you're doing the same thing in reverse. And on top of that you agree with the folks you're labeling.
------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
Help BooDaah STAY the Moderator for the OkayActivism Board....

Fill Angiee's Mailbox full of requests for me (HAHA she'll LOOOOVE THAT!!!)

How's THAT for pandering HMMMM???