Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectHold up
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24723&mesg_id=24757
24757, Hold up
Posted by guest, Thu May-18-00 09:24 AM
There is more on BET than sex.

Try Bet Tonight, Lead Story, Heart and Soul, and Out the Box.

Before you proceed what I want you to come to terms with is that Black people can no longer judge their lives on the basis of what White people think about them. White people believe in stereotypes primarily cuz they are a living example of stereotypes. Just because they have a limited perception of us in no way mitigates that we should seek their approval or even comply to their so-called standards.

Ill pose this question to you.

If I took one aspect of your life and blew it of proportion, convinced the world that fucking was the only thing you were good at- would you stop fucking to keep ignorant people from believing the stereotype?

Stereotypes are not fabricated- they are incomplete characterizations of Black lifestyles. Yes Black people are often lazy, sex crazed, and materialistic- thats called being human; to try to not be those things is admirable but to act like we shouldnt be those things cuz its makes us look bad is silly.

None of that makes us look bad- it makes us look real. The mitigating circumstances are that we are implicity deemed in negative fashions so no matter what we do only a fraction of our integrity will be acknowledged. That is not necessarily our fault and i dont even think its our problem.

Please just answer the survey questions and think about these things- this is not necessarily the arena for debat this is the organizational process for a letter writing campaign or whatever else might be effective.

K