Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwhy and what
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24723&mesg_id=24756
24756, why and what
Posted by guest, Thu May-18-00 09:08 AM
I do not watch BET very frequently for many reasons. They are the only Black channel on TV, which would lead me to beleive that they are the place where I would find the most realistic portrayal of my people and the our experience.
What I see on BET is what appears to be the Black sex channel. Nearly everything that I have seen on BET has been needlessly sexual in content. Sex is a very real, and hopefully enjoyable part of nearly everyones lives, but that is not all there is in the lives of African Americans. I just can't help but to feel like a joke is being played on the masses through BET. Nearly everything on BET lives up to the negative stereotypes white people have believed about black people for hundreds of years, but this is supposed to be for black people, by black people? I don't want to be represented like that. An organized boycott can be a poweful thing. A boycott in conjunction with a letter writing campaign could be even more powerful. I've never done anything like this before so I can't pretend to be an expert on the subject. I know that I am an intelligent person, and so are all of you. If we know what we want, we should be able to unite and see the results that we NEED. If you think BET needs to be acted on let's act ....NOW

P.S. if there are Chicagoans who want to speak or plan in person let me know.