Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectaction
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24723&mesg_id=24744
24744, action
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 05:05 AM
All Im telling you is that all this action and energy that you are fond of- needs to be validated and organized if you are to proceed to bring it to the attention of any corporate entity.

Where is this energy when people have a few simple questions to answer in order to establish what their current appreciation of the netwrok? Where are they when they are asked what their concise goal is or when they're asked to take steps to find that goal. I provided what i fell is a good step- no response, only debate.

Its hard to imagine that these guys are off to a good start when they havent done anything differently from all those guys that were just talking three months ago.

You must qualify and validate your role in BET's viewership in order to gain respect and recognition for your suggestions. Otherwise you are still just a bunch of people talking. Not even the NAACP could approach BET in that fashion- and they shouldnt have approached the netwroks like that (look where it got them- i digress it was more or less a publicity stunt anyway so it got them just as far as they wanted to go).

If you want things to change you'll have to represent what is in it for them- not just what is in it for us or subsequently your suppositions of it being good for Blacks.

This is a business- treat it as such and you will find positive and effective results. Dont expect BET to just do things cuz you say its right- demonstrate how doing what you think is right will ammount to something better for all of us.

The first step is to find out for yourself what the people you are vouching for are actually drawing their complaints from.

Sure there could be more positive programming on televison- but BET is not gonna change anything for the sake of a bunch of guys who will just continue to watch nothing but the video shows and expect to see something thoroughly enlightening- thats just not reasonable.

If more of these people are like you- and actually watch BET tonight and Lead Story and Heart and Soul- then you might have a case. If these guys are just hoping to see more Common videos and less Comic View- thats just not gonna cut it.

K