Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectgood points about the envr and govt
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24698&mesg_id=24704
24704, good points about the envr and govt
Posted by phalnangel, Mon May-01-00 09:49 PM
CAA, CWA, RCRA, etc. are all good, but theyre still political. i wrote in another post that the EPA, for as much good as it does, is as weak as it can get away with, because the govt is a business. thats why we have the "independent" envr lobby, the sierra club, greenpeace, etc.
we make too much money off industries that dont do enough of whats right, but whats legal to make stiffer laws/penalties when it comes to the envr.

the suvs are supposed to be hit w. tougher envr standards, and that cost is to trickle down to the consumer, as it should (in my opinion)
they do more damage to the envr, and as theyve increased in popularity, the globe is paying the price. if you wanna drive one, be prepared to fork out the extra change (im not certain how much more it will be, i think that depends partly on location)

there are small things we can all do, though. one of my more recent recycling efforts is grocery store bags. i pick paper and use the same bags until they tear.

sorta off the subject, but lets get together and plan a community clean up day!!!

keep the faith
share the wealth
give the love
~b.

"how you gonna have a multiracial country but monoracial leadership?"
-readers digest (paraphrased)

"our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves, who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of God. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. it is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-maryann williamson, "returning to love"