Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: My Experiences With (Observing) Racism
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24474&mesg_id=24515
24515, RE: My Experiences With (Observing) Racism
Posted by guest, Tue May-23-00 12:19 PM
These are the one's that stick with me...

1. I, a young European-American, lived in a conservative, middle-class, 70% white 10% black area since 6th grade. In 8th grade, I was an English class that was inexplicably full of Rush Limbaugh-worshiping white guys, that were constantly quoting things about "feminazis" and other bullshit. One day our teacher made a comment about how many educators felt that we studied too many "dead white males" in English, and these kids piped up with "What's wrong with dead white males? That's racist!" and other things (I can't remember the other incidents, mostly they were trying to invent shit about 'racism against whites') After a few weeks of underhanded racist comments in our "daily journal" presentation, a friend of mine, a black female, spoke out and told these punks how racist they were being. There was a big debate that consumed the whole class. Soon after that a wide-scale racial conflict ensued in my middle school, with blacks and whites fighting each other regularly, and at one point whole lines of blacks (and their white friends) and whites faced each other down (on Multicultural Day no less). I don't even know what was happening, but it was pretty bad.

2. My friends listen to a broad scale of music, including angry violent rock groups like KoRn, Rob Zombie, etc. Yet they always insist that they hate (I mean HATE) rap. They claim it's because they don't like the subject matter (assumed to be completely violent and such) but then all of them thought the Eminem single was hillarious! (shit I liked it too but I liked plenty of rap music as well). Now I've started listening to Common & The Roots, whom you have no right to criticize subject matter even if you dig frickin' Third Eye Blind, and I know they would just dismiss it because it's "black music." Of course they'd never flat out SAY that... And most of my friends still refuse to go see a so-called "black" movie unless it's a Will Smith sci-fi flick.

3. Now I live in an honors program dorm in UC Davis. Everyone here is white or Asian. We were talking with a professor who teaches a class for this program, and mentioned that there were no African-American students in this dorm. His response was, and I quote "you mean you don't have 'the black kid'?" I'll let you evaluate that one for yourself...

Sorry this shit is so long, I know this ain't nothin' earthshattering, but each little stupid thing hurts me. Just 'cause I've almost never heard a white person drop the "n-word" doesn't mean they aren't thinking it. Sigh.
C. Walker, aka The Matrix, master of the hmtl insult and the cheapshot, okayplayer newbie, IM at skyWalker900. Peace!