Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: YourFirstExperienceWithRacism
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24474&mesg_id=24508
24508, RE: YourFirstExperienceWithRacism
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 10:22 AM
I can't remember the first issue I had when I was little but there were a few. Now I do remember what happened to me when I went abroad last year, and people say you're supposed to feel accepted when you're away.

I was in Sydney, Australia (and yes Australia has mad issues with race) and almost everytime I got on the bus and the bus police came on to check your ticket, he always came to me first. I was the only person with a little bit of color in the place so he always came to me. When I opened my mouth and he would hear an American accent, I always got an apology. He would say, oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize what you were.
People were so blunt out there. I feel like here, most of the racists are subtle if they are right in front of your face. Like issues about your hair and stuff. People there would just come up to me with a disgusted look and flat out ask me, What are you? Do you have black blood in you? I always had people ask me my last name just so they could figure out what ethnicity I was.
It was ridiculous, I hated every minute of it.

This life is temporary but the soul is eternal, separate the real from the lie, let me learn you. --Mos Def