Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectfirst experience
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24474&mesg_id=24506
24506, first experience
Posted by guest, Wed May-17-00 07:42 AM
This experience is probably one of my first memories, as there is something about the incident that vividly sticks out in my mind.

I was only 3 or 4 when this happene. My parents, a bi-racial couple, took my brother and I to a summer picnic. It was at their friends house, a white couple that lived in Womelsdorf,PA.
well anyways, this couple was having a big summer picnic in thir back yard with music and food, and all their friends, mostly who were black. Their back yard kind of sat on a hill which overlooked into a valley of homes and paths below.

As night began to approach, on the hill directly across from their yard, we could see a fire beginning to burn. Eventually, within 10 or so minutes the chants from white hooded men cried "niggers go home" dampened everyone's spirits, and i remember my mom grabbing me by my hand and dragging me inside. Granted i do not remember all of this,I do remember staring at the fire, being almost entranced as it raged on...
my mom grabbing me and holding me, and I definately remember being so confused by the panic(yet being happy to be in my moms arms).

jazzgirl