Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectGoals Revisited
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24394&mesg_id=24448
24448, Goals Revisited
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-05-00 08:33 PM
I lost him last week.
I lost him last Thursday.

One of my goals was to help my people who were a little less well off than myself...One of the things they encouraged at Morehouse was to mentor youth. I adopted a little brother Mike 3 years back, who stayed in 'the bottoms'(you know, that ghettohood way down the road where negroes check in and don't check out). He was born with HIV. Mike was 9 years old, a little caramel boy with bright eyes, little buckshot naps and a Koolaid smile...smart as hell, but his school didn't really develop his attributes, cuz hood schools tend to not have enuff books or chairs or pencils or erasers or computers or caring, well-informed teachers or caring, well informed parents for that matter...
Mike knew he was bound for God'hands real soon, and talked about it all the time. I didn't like talking about 'death' or 'dying' or had the courage, cuz shit, I would look in his sparkling hazel eyes and damn near burst into tears...I told him little kids shouldn't be thinking about returning to the essence just yet-kids should be thinking about Power Rangers and 5cent bubble gum and Italian ices and summer vacation and Run, Catch and Kiss...

His daddy died years back, shootin that heron and sharing needles and contracting HIV.
He passed on to his moms thru sex (no protection).
Moms passed it on to Mike-didn't know she had it until 8 months pregnant, and didn't overstand the prevention procedures so lil Mike wouldn't get it.
His moms died this past January.
Mike liked chocolate ice cream and coco bread and pepperpot and sour pickles with a peppermint stick
Mike died last Thursday.
Another Malcolm X gone.
Another Chinua Achebe called to his Maker way too soon.
Another one of my little soldiers is gone.
Yet another piece of my heart of hearts is no more.

F*CK HIV.
F*CK ITS CREATION.
F*CK ITS CONTINUED SPREAD INTO THE DANK CORNERS OF EVERYMAN'S HOUSE AND HOME!
F*CK WHAT AIDS HAS DONE TO AFRICA!
F*CK WHAT AIDS HAS DONE TO AMERICA!
F*CK THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION!
F*CK THE SECURITY GUARDS WHO LET THE DOCTORS INTO THE LABORATORY, WHERE IT ALL BEGAN!

My goal is to never take life for granted.
My goal is to praise everyday given to myself, my family, and my friends.
My goal is to to transfer my sadness into my tears, so when they bless the ground,ancient sown seeds will sprout anew.

My goal is to have the courage to mentor again.

http://www.funkknots.com.
expand yer artistic parameters!

"Picasso sucks...but damn he painted some purty pictures"...me
"I'm surgin up when I'm emergin..." Pharoah Monch