Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectEmpowering Young Women
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24394&mesg_id=24425
24425, Empowering Young Women
Posted by Hot_Damali, Mon May-08-00 03:13 AM
It's so funny that you mentioned this Ang...I was in the playground with my two little boys on Friday and I see these 3 teenage girls smoking, cursing, and playing dice for money in the playground. They were only about 15 but they looked older and worn out. It was in that moment that I decided that I wanted to start either a summer or afterschool program aimed at empowering young girls between the ages of 11-15. As you know, that's a very crucial period for girls. They begin to develop their sense of self, they're trying to figure out what they believe in, who they can trust, they may start smoking or becoming distant from their parents...they're really suceptible to what boys think of them which then influences the way they act.

I had such a rough time at that age and I think if I had a woman that could have given me some words of wisdom or guided me in some way, my life would have been very different. I wanna give these girls what I didn't get.

I'm going to contact the Board of Education and the Mayor's office in Jersey city to see if a mentoring program like this already exists then I'll take it from there.

Great post Ang!
Damali

"you play pool? you like the white cue ball? how dare you! you probably like black eyed peas, dont you? you eat the black part first dont you? DONT YOU?!!? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!" - P! to another white okayplayer

"Yes, I am bisexual, I love my black men. There's this feeling that lesbians
hate men, but that's some white lesbian shit! I'm sorry, but the white lesbians went on that
man-hating, 'we want a world with no men shit.' I've always had this joke: nine out of ten
black lesbians concur that every now and then, they need to get poked." - Me'Shell Ndegeocello