Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe queen
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23897&mesg_id=23913
23913, the queen
Posted by phalnangel, Mon Jun-12-00 06:28 PM
although im just glancing the boards, i wanted to mention Queen Raina of Jordan. I think the country you mentioned was Pakistan (?), but these honor killings are also prevalent in Jordan, and I've read in more than one account that Queen Raina of Jordan is working adamantly to change mindsets, hearts, and laws in her country. The percentage of men doing close to six mo. for committing one of these "honor killings" is absolutely heart-breaking. Change doesnt happen overnight, especially in attitudes that are so pre-existing.

This makes me think of female mutilation/circumcision that takes place. oppression is everywhere...

just a few scattered thoughts.
keep the faith
share the wealth
give the love
~b.

*a conversation w/ my daddy*
D- B, go in there and clean the kitchen
Me- but daddy, I didn't even contribute to that mess...
D- (sigh) there are some things in life you just do because they need to be done. I mean, I don't ask the grass to grow, but it does...and I cut it

"how you gonna have a multiracial country but monoracial leadership?"
-readers digest (paraphrased)

"our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves, who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of God. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. it is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-maryann williamson, "a return to love"