Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: it's easy to dismiss
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23897&mesg_id=23906
23906, RE: it's easy to dismiss
Posted by odu, Fri Jun-09-00 12:52 PM
Forgive me if I find that to be a somewhat simple-minded rationale. I listed some vile, foul stuff that is CURRENTLY acceptable in some non-white cultures. As we so routinely hear, the slave trade would not have been possible, at least not on the same scale, without the collusion of some Africans against others (though this is another largely misunderstood and misinterpreted part of our history). What I am saying is that there IS an objective scale by which to judge the crimes of white Europeans against humanity, and it far outweighs any of the comparisons being made. Two counts of murder are worse than one. Of course genocide and gross crimes against humanity are not the purvey of one particular race; it is dishonest, however, to then equate the crimes of white Europeans to those of every Johnny Ethnic Group that has its own dirty secrets. Aztec ritual murder or Arawak alleged "cannibalism" or Taino sexism surely is not equal to the wholesale annihilation of all three cultures by invading European nations. Similarly, I'm with you in condemning the horrific sexism that's promoted in the name of Islam (or any other religion--again, what the Trokosi in Ghana went/go through will revolt you), but I'm sure as all hell that its not something I will compare to white supremacy, which has shaped our world for the last 500 years or so.

Rwanda (approximately 800,000 to 1.2 million) is not comparable to the Jewish holocaust, the Pol Pot regime's crimes against its own people, Stalin's "purges", and so on and so on and so on. The genocide in Rwanda, no matter how much the Western intelligensia try to deny it with claims of "tribal" hatred and ethnic rivalry, is directly related to the policies of German and Belgian white supremacists who ruled the countries as colonizers until 1959, when they were kicked the fuck out. Unfortunately, their influence wasn't so prompt in leaving.