Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Ive seen footage
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23897&mesg_id=23899
23899, RE: Ive seen footage
Posted by mke, Thu Jun-08-00 11:14 AM
>But i cant really abide by
>your disregard of situations in
>america.

I'm not just casting them aside, obviously, I'm just saying that it could be helpful to cast them under a global light.

>While Im sure we
>all abhor the attrocities committed
>elsewhere as oppressed citizens of
>this nation we must focus
>on our most prevailing issues
>as it is American imperialism
>that mitigates attrocities and miscarriages
>of justice throughout the world
>using class systems like race
>to rob humanity of its
>culture and dignity.
>

Although it is easy to see examples of what you are saying (Pinochet, and if you broaden it to include all of the Occident, then the situations in West Africa), the situation in Pakistan and Afghanistan arose of themselves. As we well know, the mistreatment of women and the despisal of those seen as different (not necessarily on a racial differences, see Northern Ireland) is not a function of American imperialism. Today it plays a role, but it is not an essential element (in the sense that it is only conjunctural).

>As for your question- I dont
>think other cultures are in
>a position to go around
>checking other cultures for their
>so called "attrocities." The obvious
>question would be...
>
>where would we start.
>
>K

Of course it's complicated. The obvious example is that at Nuremburg in 45, Germans were condemned for the concentration camps, but no-one was questioned about Hiroshima or Nagasaki. But your opinion is possibly more dangerous: it removes any incentive for a country to even attempt to appear exemplary and dimish its crimes. In a world where it is damn near impossible to find a reknowned and brutal dictator guilty of any crime, removing an avenue for possible improvement seems crazy.

AIM: mke1978

"L'actualité régionale: c'est vous qui la vivez, c'est nous qui en vivons"
In English:
"Local news: you live it, we live off it"
- Jules-Edouard Moustic, 20H20

"There's no blood in my body/It's liquid soul in my veins"
- Roots Manuva (check the fantastic album "Brand New Second Hand")