Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: African vs./or African American
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23838&mesg_id=23875
23875, RE: African vs./or African American
Posted by guest, Mon Jun-12-00 01:33 AM
Odu,

It would be highly irresponsible of me to suggest that the viewpoint put forward earlier on was in some way an accurate reflection of the thinking in Africa. As we write history itself has moved on.

I doubt if the Black Diaspora dwell on the sensitivity issue; and I very much doubt that droves of Black people around the world acupuncture themselves every morning simply because Africa appears to be downing gallons of insensitivity pills.

What Africa needs too quickly be aware of is that these are all it's children; it is high time Africa starts capitalizing on that fact. There is no reason why a symbiotic relationship cannot work.

The argument about missing gaps in history is well documented; indeed human history is one huge leaking vessel. You cannot underestimate the great robbery done by Europe and affiliates when colonization was firmly in place. Oral history, which still remains intact, only does so out of the sheer stubbornness of a people. But you cannot tell me that the very nature and structure of colonization is of no more significance.

It is important to understand that there are huge portions or chunks of data irrevocably deleted. Think, how would Africa have developed if for example the tentacles of Christianity or Islam had not reached the continent; take a look at the languages in West Africa and tell me how many will survive the next century; on the subject of languages how many Nigerians for example can competently read and write the Yoruba language. Why was it so important to instill into a culture foreign languages; was it not a way of robbing out an existing history. I wonder what the French are panicking for as we enter a new millennium and fears of the French language loosing ground abound?

Of course as we dwell on the sociological ramifications of a culture fractured in time and space; it is as you have indicated important to know that real people have real problems. Making money plus simply surviving is of course paramount; but we cannot all be sustained by money – you must know the American cliché ‘ if you are rich you must also be unhappy.’ Remember Biggie’s retort on the subject.

Finally a better example of cross communication would be the work ‘Spearhead’ is doing or ‘Louis Armstrong’ did. Somehow knowing that Tupac has permeated the Senegalese culture (pop) is indeed for all intent purposes very bleak indeed.

Xala.