Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectma...you are deliberately missing the point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23740&mesg_id=23815
23815, ma...you are deliberately missing the point.
Posted by nahymsa, Wed Jun-14-00 06:13 AM
>Getting a job or selling crack
>is EVERYONE's choice.

but there're not always simple choices and you know this. Rick as Koala mentioned was not given the option of getting a job or selling crack. He was told to SELL crack for the government (who works for YOU) or GO TO JAIL. Where is the job option there?

Also, you're implying that everyone's opportunities for employment are the same. That is not true, not only are the opportunities different but so is pay for the same work. It is a fact that if everyone in America were to be qualified there still wouldnt be enough legal jobs that provide a living wage...that is a fact. This system is dependant on the exploitation of the poor for survival. Yet you seem to be of the impression that working for a "legit" company makes you somehow innocent. That's selective responsibility at best. As Koala said, you have a choice not to pay for a corrupt government but you do so so you won't go to jail for the likes of Rick.

>Yes, people are wrongfully incarcerated BUT
>people are rightfully incarcerated.
>I know far more people
>that choose to work
>until retirement w/out wrongfull incarceration
>than I know people who
>the police just pick to
>arbitrarily go to jail.

ummm...clearly racial profiling which has been proven shows that the police arbitrarily decide to enforce the law. That is wrong. Some of the same people & companies you work for & with are the benefits of this double standard.
>
Rick had the same opportunity: Work or Sell drugs.

LIE, why do you keep putting in a false choice. The choice presented by the CIA was SELL CRACK FOR THE GOVERNMENT OR GO TO JAIL!
>>
>I haven't condemed Rick. But I can condemn drug
>dealing, love Rick and still go to Heaven.

But you pay money (taxes) to support the drug dealers (the government) so what does that make you? The government sells drugs, why don't you take away you're part in their funding?

>Stop paying taxes? Are you crazy? And go to
>jail like Rick? What is that going to solve?

Are you familar with American history? Or the Civil Rights movement, imagine if they took that attitude. The American Revolutionaries refused to pay taxes and took the chance at going to jail for what was right. Do you lack the courage to back your convictions with real action? Most of us do, that's why talk is cheap. If all American citizens were to renige on paying taxes that would be one of the most effective ways to enforce our will on the government. Living by your principles requires real sacrifice...not just lip service.