Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectas a person
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23657&mesg_id=23670
23670, as a person
Posted by guest, Thu Jul-13-00 09:06 PM
deemed 'white' by society i don't quite understand this notion of 'racial pride'-i'm specifically speaking 'white pride' here, which is a totally different mechanic than 'black pride'.

what does it mean?

that i am to be proud of being 'white'? how did i earn THAT pride? by just being born?

that i am to be proud of 'white' people? what for?

i mean, i'm proud of my family - and i'm proud of certain 'white' friends BUT i'm NOT proud of them BECAUSE they are 'white'. i'm proud of who they are, or how they live their lives.

how am i to be proud of people whom i DON'T know - the only connection being that we are classed as 'white'?

KoalaLove is right - what the hell does 'white' mean, anyway? i'm of Jewish/Irish stock, but i'm neither Jewish or Irish - i'm Australian, and happy to be so.

when i was younger, i went through a period where i was wracked with 'white guilt' - that's also some effed-up shit 'cause i never hated on or acted hatefully to ANYONE because of their race/colour/nationality in my LIFE.

i can be proud of being me, and can be held responsible for what i do - but neither pride nor shame for being 'white'.

sh:ock