Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Hair-Identity-Beauty--1st Impressions are a Bitch
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23493&mesg_id=23538
23538, RE: Hair-Identity-Beauty--1st Impressions are a Bitch
Posted by guest, Tue Jul-11-00 08:20 AM
as a sista with natural hair, i have mixed emotions regarding the response i get from folks concerning my "look". on the one hand, so many people are so positive...they give me much love in the form of verbal compliments about my natural style. on the other hand, sometimes i get these hostile glares from other sistas when they see my hair. it's as if they not only disapprove, they are angry at me for looking "different". i also get uncomfortable when people assume that i'm a "conscious" sista just because my hair is natural. i believe the term "consciousness" is used way to lightly nowadays, because consciousness is not something we achieve overnight via a hair style. although i believe i am a part of a continual process towards consciousness, i don't think any of us have actually reached it yet. anyway, just as sistas with relaxers sometimes negatively judge sistas with natural hair, natural sistas also sometimes negatively judge sistas with straight hair. i think we need to move beyond our hairstyles and focus on loving ourselves (as a collective) we need to be about revolution on a large-scale...we got no time for petty negativity and hostility.

peace,
z