Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDon't worry. Once...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23493&mesg_id=23531
23531, Don't worry. Once...
Posted by guest, Sun Jun-11-00 04:58 PM
Black women experience the freedom and confidence that comes with ridding their hair of that stress and strife, they won't want to go back the straight-hair way of life again. At least, that's what happened to me.

I had relaxed hair from age 12 to 24. I had braids. Took them down and got a fade. I had many issues with self confidence and insecurities, so it seems that I would never allow my hair to go unrelaxed. After all, i cried and whined at times in my life because i couldn't geta "touch up", b/c I literally thouhgt I was ugly with NAPPY hair.

How could that be? My God made me with extra curly hairs sprouting naturally from my scalp. How could that not be beautiful. It's the way God wanted it.

So, i no longer give a damn about what my family, my husband, my coworkers or anybody else thinks (it's a little ruff in the professional world, but eff em!).

So, now, 2 years later, i enjoy braiding, twisting, cornrowing, palmrolling, and whatever else I can create. It is joy that I would not trade for anything.

I think it's less about being conscious and more about not masking the true, original and natural physical beauty that we have.