Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRedefined
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23493&mesg_id=23528
23528, Redefined
Posted by Nettrice, Fri Jun-09-00 06:33 PM
In 93' I chopped off my carefree curl to go natural for good. As the hair grew, I began to experiment and, eventually, created my own signature style of twists and cornrows coiffed up in elaborate designs. I had found a hair identity that was all my own. Even when flat twists became the trend, my own version stood out. My hair journey is very personal and I never duplicated the style on anyone else's head. Then, things began to happen:

Recently, during a week-long stay in New Orleans, I was complimented by several people who said they never saw my style before. Many of the sistah's had elaborate styles themselves.

Last weekend, I was in the store looking for some synthetic colored hair to twist into my haven't-been-processed-for-years hair and I ran into a sistah who admired my do, so much so she wanted to know how much I charged to do other people's hair.

An Asian lady eating a buffet-style lunch in an Indian restaurant asked me how long it took to do my hair. She called it a work of art and when I told her I did it myself she got up from the table and came over to make a fuss.

Suddenly, I discovered how my own styling efforts had improved my self esteem. People think I am high maintenance but every two weeks I take a weekend by myself to redo my hair. It's like meditation or a special getaway just for me.

In a society where Black women's hair is more about politics than personal choice, I decided to make a statement about personal power, creativity and freedom. Now I am looking at doing the same with my job.

"No matter who you are or what your age may be, if you want to achieve permanent, sustaining success, the motivation that will drive you toward that goal must come from within." - Ultramagnetic MCs