Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecttha shit I go through
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23493&mesg_id=23511
23511, tha shit I go through
Posted by Nubia, Wed Jun-07-00 08:16 AM
now my momma is Egyptian ... she had hair down to her waiste when she first came here... and so does just about every woman in her family. "I am the odd one out" because I am brown skinned with tightly coiled hair. but the strangest thing is when people assume that I should have bone straight silky hair because of my heritage. I know just as well as anyone what this whole judging a book by its cover thing is about. I grew locs in my hair... and after two years just like that I shaved them off... two weeks later I put in braids. now what Im sayin here is... people assumed that I was a sistah not ta be reckoned wit when I had locs... I mean I am generaly quiet and I dont say much until its needed. but the moment I put braids in folks just took me lightly... as if I was docile or shy... I mean it truly amazed me the way people reacted to my diferent hair styles... I mean whats even funnier is how a larger variety of brothas approached me before got locs... after that only the "enlightened typed" approached a sistah... not that its bad but this just displays the job that scoiety has done on our minds. this is yet another mental chair that we must break through.

may the vibration of vitality resonate through your existence

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

You write like I breathe. It sustains you, like the air drawn into my lungs sustains me. Please keep breathing.
- mikeONE