Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMotherhood
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23434&mesg_id=23447
23447, Motherhood
Posted by janey, Mon Jul-24-00 09:07 AM
Not for me. Always knew it. Thank God I was born at a time when I could take my reproductive destiny into my own hands instead of a time when I was bound to bear children as a by-product of sexual relations, and a time when I could focus on that which I actually find fulfilling rather than being forced into a role that would have been wrong for me.

I acknowledge my personal debt to the feminists who paved the way and I understand that most movements have to begin with a bang or they won't be heard at all. I don't think that anyone is being forced by feminists or by anything other than the economy, their own material desires or other self motivaton, to take jobs or forgo motherhood.

I think there's room for all of it. And I think that was the point of the "Women's Liberation" movement at inception.

This post's caveats: I like children, I just don't want any of my own. I absolutely respect those who bear children, and I figure that the most challenging relationship that anyone can have -- the one with the greatest potential for spiritual growth -- is with one's children. But I do feel pretty strongly that those of us who know that we're not well-suited to be parents are way, way, way better off not doing it than trying to fit in (yes, I said "fit in" because how many women do you know who are willing to say this ish?).

Peace.