Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Men and Women need to start talking HONESTLY, so we can heal.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23434&mesg_id=23445
23445, RE: Men and Women need to start talking HONESTLY, so we can heal.
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-24-00 06:43 AM
>Amen, in some traditional African societies >a womans worth is determined >by her ability to raise >her children, mangage her homestead, >and provide support for her >husband. In the western
>feminist thought a woman who >stays at home to raise >her children and provide a >comfortable home for her man >is regarded as old fashioned
>and a thorn in the >side of modern womanism.

I think this is a pretty big generalization (and an incorrect one at that) regarding western feminist thought. More accurately, I think the argument is that women should have the opportunity to work either at home or in public, and that choice shouldn't be based on the gender of the person.

When women >stop fighting to be contruction workers and police people and >strt fighting for respect as >mothers family mangagers we'll start
>to cherish these roles and >perform them with pride and >dignity.

with all due respect, I think this is a pretty weak. Two points
1- women have every right to work as construction workers or police officers or whatever. The fact that they have to (as you put it) fight for these rights is precisely the problem.
2- we should cherish the role of any person who works at home, male or female, and not arbitrarily decide that the woman should be the one staying at home./

Fletch