Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectsince we're the only two playing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23028&mesg_id=23039
23039, since we're the only two playing
Posted by BooDaah, Tue Aug-01-00 10:25 AM
>but any other
>education NOT approved by the
>gov't or what not is
>either not available or VERY
>hard to access or learn.

perhaps. but no struggle no progress right? if you want something bad enough you'll do what you have to to get it.

>its the only way I
>myself can get anything(well, maybe
>not everything), money,etc.

not true, but you seem to pretty much know that. besides, just think of it as a game. the rules say you gotta get a diploma (for example), you got two choices: get one, or not. Either way the choice is yours. Most people that are good at playing a game learn how to bend those rules in their favor. In this instance, learn what they want you to learn to play their game, and then learn MORE so that you can get to a point where you can define your own rules. Knowledge is power. He who holds the keys gets to unlock the doors (full of cliche's today aren't I :-)).

>of course I'm going to
>believe, as everyone else will
>and has.

This ain't necessarily true either. Going back to who once should define as a hero, if you accept the idea that someone is without fault and hold them up as an example of perfection you're setting yourself up for a fall. Accept folk for what they are, and go from there. I doubt that anyone ever told you that MLK, Columbus, or any other "hero" was perfect, but even if they did, the assumption/acceptance of any "hero" is totally upon the individual who recieves the info. There is an old saying about how "fools will suffer for their lack of knowledge" and it is very true. Don't be a fool (not saying that you are, but I hope you get my point).

>I agree but again some don't
>have that kind of access
>to the above,

...and they will have to make do with the knowledge to which they DO have access. TV/internet/whatever hasn't always existed and folk were MUCH more knowledgeable then because they didn't rely on knowledge to be spoon fed to them by a little box.

>leaving them
>with the same twisted theory
>of heroism and what is
>a right and a wrong.

I think this is a big leap. Right is right and wrong is wrong based upon perspective. Twisted? Ehh. Again, suffer for lack of knowledge. And to tell the truth, when knowledge is brought to the surface, if it destrys a false ideology then that's good right?

>But what happens when that fault interferes with
>their message.

Talk is cheap. If someone acts differently than they live then their words are proven meaningless (again taking into account that we all make mistakes). But again, doing bad things doesn't necessarily negate one's ability to do good. Take Clinton, as a husband he's a scumball, but in terms of how he has treated minorities (generally) during his tenure, he's done pretty good comparatively to his peers. Is he a hero, not necessarily but he has taken a few heroic stances.

The point is this: When you decide who should be viewed as a hero it is better to get as much information for yourself as possible to ensure a decision made with a fully developed scale.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
step 1. inform yourself step /step 2. inform others/step 3. discuss the problem /step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked/step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------
Coolest thing I've read on OKP recently (courtesy of Quinn):
"when eminem gets on the cover of some teen fan zine with nick from n'sync, kevin from bsb and sisqo, it's because america is more comfortable with a white guy rapping about rapeing his mother than method man rapping about anything."
-------------------------------