Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI know you understand
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23028&mesg_id=23033
23033, I know you understand
Posted by BooDaah, Tue Aug-01-00 06:37 AM
>But education, media, blada blada
>have given kids, and even
>some adults these ideas of
>superheroes on TV and in
>books that are just not
>legit.

see, this is the problem with relying on others to teach you everything (not saying you do). i learned in first grade to question and look a little deeper. i saw the hypocracy of columbus day when i was seven, and i ain't special. i juyst learned (as I believe everyone should) to question things. the media is part of the machine. they'll tell you what they want you to hear. period. it's up to us to use what "they" show is as a starting point.

>Like I said more and more
>I realize that my "little
>kid" view is being demolished
>slowly.

happens to everyone. you should have seen my world being crushed when i realized my mother wasn't the Godlike person I thought she was. But despite her imperfection, she's still a hero to me. Again I ask the question: "How heroic does a hero have to be?"

>But why should there be a
>little kid image in the
>first place,

You know what. There are certain pieces of knowledge that you have to be mature enough to handle. You don't teach calculus before you learn to add. Knowledge comes in it's proper season.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
step 1. inform yourself step /step 2. inform others/step 3. discuss the problem /step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked/step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------
Coolest thing I've read on OKP recently (courtesy of Quinn):
"when eminem gets on the cover of some teen fan zine with nick from n'sync, kevin from bsb and sisqo, it's because america is more comfortable with a white guy rapping about rapeing his mother than method man rapping about anything."
-------------------------------