Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOnce again, nay
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22778&mesg_id=22830
22830, Once again, nay
Posted by nushooz, Fri Aug-04-00 04:54 AM
Can we afford detachment? Should we all be doing our share? Can we take what we got to get where we need to be?

>>Are you saying that all rap artists should make >their music for a hypothetical child in a vacum
>>away from society somewhere?
No, what I'm saying is what I said. If you had to choose a rapper/lyricist/entertainer for your child to listen too, who would it be? Is there not one person that you feel is more responsible than the other? Are you arguing that the children are not watching and listening?

>It gets deeper than that. Is
>she saying that all art should be censored & molded so as not to affect hypothetical children?
Not on this fight, it ain deeper... Cuz no, that's not what "she" is saying. Our children are not hypothetical. They exists and they ARE WATCHING & LISTENING.

Who's going to be the judge for
>what constitutes moral/ethical/revolutionary music?
Did you read my last response to you up top? Where is the responsibility? Would you rather the children sing Amazing Grace or Back that thing up??????

>Using Brand Nubians as an example, Slow Down is not necessarily a progressive or positive
>song from a womanist perspective.
Perhaps for YOU as a woman.....But calling a woman back from a foul life - using her body to get what she wants - is not positive?

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz
I,I, I Can't Wait!