Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOnly you can judge if you're doing the best you can
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22778&mesg_id=22815
22815, Only you can judge if you're doing the best you can
Posted by nahymsa, Wed Aug-02-00 09:56 AM
That's my point.

You say "yes" but I'm sure there are many who do more/different who would disagree, understand?

>do I have to quantify and qualify my involvement
>in order to have an opinion?

Ma, of course you do, especially if you (or anyone) choose to criticize others & what they do/don't do.

>Would you be championing her (lil' Kim) if
>she were....ummmmm...a prostitute? Is
>that the same thing?

I've know prostitutes who are better quality of people than those who aren't. While I wouldn't choose to be a prostitute (for a variety of reasons), nor would i encourage someone to go that route, I refuse to automatically assume that a hooker is automatically a fouler person than someone who's not. Many people are whores, they just all don't walk the streets. I champion Lil' Kim because I like her spirit & the fact that she known for being friendly & approachable. And that she's found a way to rise above some of the ugliness in her life. Not the way I would chose, but she did it

>I got bigger fish to fry. So much so that I can >do a lot of those volunteer things that you >illuded to earlier without having my ass hanging out, flashing my karratts and respecting
>myself while garnering the respect of others-all >at the same time.

That's you, ma. Not only that but the fact that you don't "have your ass hanging out" doesn't necessarily have to be a positive thing. You could be one of those people caught up in the madonna/whore thing. Also, the respect I value doesn't come from not being flashy or scantily clothed. What's important to me is reliability, loyalty, compassion, friendship - I respect those things...and i don't care if they come in a slut or a or a virgin.

>>>Muhammed Ali- remember him? Those
>>>brothers at the Olympics....remember them?
>>Some would argue that those brothas
>>should've never participated in the
>>Olympics in the first place,
>>ya dig?
>No, I dont.

There were many athletes who's convictions didn't allow them to participate in those Olympics at all. >
>>No offense ma but what makes

>Can any of us afford to be detached from the other?

No, so let's not act like our shit is better than the next man's, particularly when we're walking a slippery slope ourselves. That's my point. Each individual should examine his/her life & correct it, do all they can, sacrifice all they can THEN maybe they have the right to look at someone else & point fingers when it comes to these type issues.
>I'm not talking about people as much as I am >about attitude.

But people have the attitudes.>
>IMO, the main

>>- but be honest, are you doing all that you
>>possibly can? On the real, HELL YEAH!
> Every day, using every
>opportunity......

and you don't think there are other blacks who would beg to differ on your self assessment? Who gets to be judge & jury?

peace