Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectK, the children are WATCHING &
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22778&mesg_id=22812
22812, K, the children are WATCHING &
Posted by nushooz, Thu Aug-10-00 10:56 AM
LISTENING! I'm not advocating that Q tip be Al Gore's running mate although he's a damn vibrant thing and would get my vote. But that's neither here nor there.

I'm talking about doing your damn share. And we all have a share in this! Secretary, Policeman, Stock Broker, RAPPER, Basketball Player, ALL OF US.

Have you read any of the things that I've been saying. NOBODY especially US has made it on their own. I look at some of these slave narratives and see pictures of figurines of Mammy-s and Uncle Toms, I remember my father working 3 jobs when I was in college. My successes are not mine alone and as a consequence, I have an OBLIGATION to give back. That's what I want these folk - everybody - to do. We CANNOT AFFORD PHYSICAL OR FISCAL ATTACHMENT. The struggle goes on rather you are a conscientious participant or not. But we fight a battle of pricipalities and EVERY DAY & IN EVERY WAY the enemy seeks to destroy and devour you. WE DONT HAVE TIME for me, me, me, me, I got mine, me.
Use "where you are" to get US where we need to be.

>What do you want hip hop
>to do for our community?
What I just said.
>
>
>Do you think hip hop can
>inspire black and brown children
>to pursue their educations?
Brand Nubia certainly inspired me. Am I the exception or the rule. The Children Are Watching and Listening.......And I want them to hear and see more than Lil Kim shaking her ass and flaunting her bling-damn-bling.

>
>If those are the kind of goals you are looking at, hip hop is NOT the answer.
For your own reasons - the 60's explanation that follows - WE ARE ALL responsible for finding an answer.

On the cool,
>the 60's didn't have a soundtrack. We weren't being told how to live and
>what to think by our entertainers. It was folks
>just like you and me putting their lives on the
>line. Lynched in the south, beat up in the
>north, working farms in the West.

Muhammed Ali- remember him? Those brothers at the Olympics....remember them? Ossie Davis, Rubie Dee, Dick Gregory - Athletes and Entertainers using where they were to get us to where we needed to be.

>Don't look to hip hop for that answer. Who is
>hip hop really lead by? 15-30 year old brothers
>who have not seen nor studied the world at large. Hip Hop is not made by Kweisi Mfume's, Kofi Anaan's, or Nelson Mandela's.
>Maybe by future black leaders,
>but they haven't really developed
>a platform on the mic yet.
Then shut up! (Not you, them. And this is a very personal assessment/opinion on how it should be.) Freedom of speech, Freedom of creativity, all good things. But we can't afford friviolity. You think George Bush is playing when he sees Ronald Reagan as a effin hero? WE- Black folk - don't have the luxury of their "world on a string" mentality.

I'm gonna stop here. But I'll be back.

Live from the Shoe Sto'
NuShooz

I,I, I Can't Wait!