Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectGood point nay...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22778&mesg_id=22794
22794, Good point nay...
Posted by BooDaah, Tue Aug-01-00 08:32 AM
A certain part of hiphop has always been about being fly and having stuff. Go listen to some of them old Kurtis Blow (or similar era) records.

Puffy (as we all know) didn't invent jack.

my only point is that there is far less balance to these scales. i'm not (necessarily) against partying and enjoying the good life, moreso enjoying it at the expense of self and others. Yeah, there were ballers back in the day, but nobody was selling X number of keys to do it. nobody was releving in the death of their peers. nobody was reducing themselves to the level of dogs and calling it fun.

the level of defeatedness in todays music is epidemic. 90% plus of all of todays music (not just hiphop) is about reveling in excess regardless of who you have to hurt to do it. There is little or no family or community at all beyond the "cliques" which only exist to the extent to which the participants get paid. When "Self Destruction" and "We're All in the Same Gang" and MLK Birthday song (Happy Birthday) were out MOST of the major folk participated. Today, if it comes on your label MAYBE. The questions we (or at least I) address is:

What happened to the sense of something beyond what benefits self? How can music return to being used as a social tool?

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
step 1. inform yourself step /step 2. inform others/step 3. discuss the problem /step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked/step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------
Coolest thing I've read on OKP recently (courtesy of Quinn):
"when eminem gets on the cover of some teen fan zine with nick from n'sync, kevin from bsb and sisqo, it's because america is more comfortable with a white guy rapping about rapeing his mother than method man rapping about anything."
-------------------------------