Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectactually
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22778&mesg_id=22783
22783, actually
Posted by BooDaah, Tue Aug-01-00 12:10 PM
perhaps in my example my point was lost...

>And he could feature nothing but
>heather locklear types (hold up,
>better update it for the
>young un's) Pamela Anderson Lee
>types up in his video.
> Not that is a
>bad thing, but for someone
>talking about save the gods
>and earths and bomb the
>rest....

then pehaps this was a poor example. my point was that (listen closely) there was an across the board greater sense of community, and uplift before. Again, what i was attempting to express was the fact that at one time the hiphop community (damn near as a whole) thought that it was a medium for expression for a generation. Expressing oour hopes, dreams, history, whatever. I'm not knocking 100% of todays music (nor have I attacked anyone in particular). I'm simply saying that the collective voice of hiphop today seems to be saying "Do what you gotta do to get paid" and to me this is unfortunate.

>If you are going to make
>that argument, folks like Juvie,
>Lil Wayne, Master P, and
>Jay Z are doing the
>same thing. You listen
>close to their big hits,
>and within the bling bling
>they will drop one-liners

This reminds me of the heroes post. Actions gotta match words. If you're talking out of both sides of your mouth you're not doing anything but contributing to the noise. All I want is a little more balance.

>A lot of so-called conscious heads,
>are pretty unconscious when it
>comes to dissecting rhymes, and
>looking for the jewels within
>them.

You'd be amazed. I won't take this as a personal dig, because my own collection (and the fact that I listen to every word on them) contradict this statement, and because I don't particularly see myself as a conscious head anyway. As a matter of fact I will agree. I was in a discussion in the lesson where someone said that anyone who has a deal is a sellout. Blanket staements like that make me shake my head sometimes.

>The same cats who aren't
>listening to current aceyalone, who
>didn't go out and support
>PE's last record. That's
>when you start hearing,"yo dun,
>homie, mayn, they beats ain't
>knocking". These same cats
>will get on a music
>discussion board and talk about
>their guilty pleasures. "I
>know I shouldn't like Shyne,
>but..."

true indeed, and this is why I said I don't necessarily blame that artist because they don't make themselves popular. it's an interesting topic. am i one of those "grandiose mfers" wesley snipes was talking about in Mo Betta Blues because I wanna think sometimes too? I like Juvenile for a bunch of reasons (jay-Z, Tip and a bunch of others folk here hate too), I used to like P till I heard that recipe for crack joint. I just want to hear a little depth sometimes, because if all I do is party the walls will crash around me. Again the key word is balance.

>Hip Hop Heads....

damn you sound a little pissed. bitter?

>When's the
>last time you hipped someone
>to the Coup?

about two weeks ago, at the same time i discussed dead prez. this week i'm pushing jill scott actually. :-)

>All of us deserve what we
>get. We deserve Mc's
>that disguise medicine as poison,
>and vice versa.

i'm sorry if my reply seemed "all about me" but can only speak for delf. i hope it didn't seem as though i was defending, moreso just continuing to discuss. after all that I have a question:

So what (if anything) are you/me/we gonna do about it?

don't get fed up just yet.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
step 1. inform yourself step /step 2. inform others/step 3. discuss the problem /step 4. DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/step 5. EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/step 6. evaluate how well the solution worked/step 7. start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------
Coolest thing I've read on OKP recently (courtesy of Quinn):
"when eminem gets on the cover of some teen fan zine with nick from n'sync, kevin from bsb and sisqo, it's because america is more comfortable with a white guy rapping about rapeing his mother than method man rapping about anything."
-------------------------------