Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=226&mesg_id=354
354, RE
Posted by mallingual, Sun Aug-08-04 07:01 PM
if you don't believe in the american ideals then it makes sense that you wouldn't claim the u.s. government as your own.

but when someone blows up your house b/c they are calling you american, you can't really use that defense. similarly with hiroshima. we ignorantly called all of hiroshima "the enemy", and eradicated all those innocents. but with hiroshima, those people had even less power than we do to change their government

assume you still have faith in american ideals: if we, the citizens don't agree with something the government does, it's in our power to change it. if we are not fighting for change, then we are agreeing, implicitly.

"if you ain't part of the solution, you part of the problem".

the people of hiroshima couldn't really change things for themselves. which makes what we did all the more awful.

but for me, an american, i still feel that the government represents me. at least to some extent. people hate american's and i'm in that mix. so i guess that's why i say "we"

...i dunno, tho.

pax

----------------------------------
yanamsamean?

"they say the end is near, it's important that we close...to the most, High. Regardless of what happens, on him, let's rely"
-common

"A-E-I-O-U...and sometimes Y"

"i'm super nice, top-notch and it ain't no question. i should run for president in the next election"
-planet asia

"watch from the sky box and the bleachers...yo let me wave so people at the top of the arenas wit binoculars see us"
-wordsworth

"many angels, fell to the dust, leavin me to trust, only in oooo"
-common

"my dream is big and in it, my team is rich"
-jay-z

"you can't write without using 'like'...what are you? some type of valley girl?"
-wordsworth