Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectour cultural ignorance shows up again.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=226&mesg_id=316
316, our cultural ignorance shows up again.
Posted by mallingual, Mon Aug-09-04 10:18 PM
It sounds like our leaders did not see that japan wanted to surrender the war, but NOT want to surrender their culture.

japan stated they wanted to end the war as soon as possible. we ignored that when we heard their refusal to abdicate their personal god and cultural leader.

sounds like a lot of live's could have been saved on both sides if we looked at the enemy's culture.

i wonder if we're making a similar mistake with islam. if we understood islam better, we probably could reduce the unified hate from muslims.
we could isolate the extremists from the rest of the muslim world. right now, it feels like we are slowly unifying the muslim world in opposition to america.

it's weird that we have so much armaments, but we have so very few translators.

pax

----------------------------------
yanamsamean?

"they say the end is near, it's important that we close...to the most, High. Regardless of what happens, on him, let's rely"
-common

"A-E-I-O-U...and sometimes Y"

"i'm super nice, top-notch and it ain't no question. i should run for president in the next election"
-planet asia

"watch from the sky box and the bleachers...yo let me wave so people at the top of the arenas wit binoculars see us"
-wordsworth

"many angels, fell to the dust, leavin me to trust, only in oooo"
-common

"my dream is big and in it, my team is rich"
-jay-z

"you can't write without using 'like'...what are you? some type of valley girl?"
-wordsworth