Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti went to the memorial...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=226&mesg_id=267
267, i went to the memorial...
Posted by urthanheaven, Fri Aug-06-04 11:02 AM
it hurt. hiroshima has a bizzarre feel to it. no matter how good it gets, the whole city was built after and on the site of a nuclear explosion. i think most of the localized radiation has cleared out, but this is just one bomb. and the ones made to day are as much as 100times(?) stronger and we have more of them.

i agree with a post saying that it was an act of war and it has been glazed over to make the shit that people did in the war ok. the generals from the horror of (in)human nature and the shock of the battlefield survival tend to have a grim outlook. it took vietnam maybe before people started to see war for what it was before it became an insane and inhuman enemy vs a righteous country sent in to do gods work. a bunch of greedy ambitious spinsters who can't handle their own shit mono a mono. if george bush would have had to celebrity k-1 fight osama bin laden or sadam hussein then a whole lot of lives could have been saved.

in the older days the king would ride out with his army and battle amongst them leading them to vicory and proving his valor or whatever. now it's just like press a button or make a 'difficult decision' with no accurate frame of reference. but then again how do you have a frame of reference that says it's ok to kill hundreds of thousands of people?

i don't know man. there were american soldiers who were pows in hiroshima who because japan had effectively surrendered expected to be rescued soon. instead.

booom.